Author Topic: -Bloo-  (Read 3806 times)

Sosukhe

-Bloo-
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
Since this is my first post on ''cheeseforum'' I wish to greet you all from my corner of the world and to thank you all for the infos, tips and pics about making cheese! It helped me so much... After colecting all the infos I needed - I got myself into making cheese.
And now withour further ado, here is my first ever made blue mold cheese.

4l (1 gallon?) raw cow's milk; buttermilk culture; blue mold; 1teaspoon calf rennet.

After heathing the milk adding the cultures, rennet... the curd has set firm. cut curd into cubes about 2-2.5 cm ~1inch. Strained the curd in colander and after that transfered into mould. Turned few times, salted with Himalayan red salt (only non iodised salt i could find), took it out of the molud and let to dry on room temp in food container. After three days blue molds started developing.. YAAAAAY!!! Today I pierced it with 2mm knitting needle (maybe i should use thicker needle on next piercing) placed on the top shelf of the fridge. Gona let it age and bloom about 4-6 weeks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:03:17 PM by Sosukhe »

Pete S

Re: -Bloo-
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
   Welcome to the forum.   A nice looking cheese for your first try.
 1 teaspoon rennet seems like way to much but I don't know your rennet.
 !/4 tsp single strength rennet per gallon is what my bottle recommends.
 Blue cheese is one of my favorites and always makes a good tasting cheese even if I don't get a lot of mold I still have the blue flavor.
 I like it at all different ages.  Pete

Sosukhe

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Thanks Pete!
Instructions said 2 tablespoons of rennet per 10l of milk, also 1:5000 I guess that means one part rennet to fivethousand parts of milk.
Blue chese is also one of my favorites, not very common in markets here and very pricy.

Pete S

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
  What rennet are you using.  I have single strength animal rennet.  The 1:1000 is 1 part rennet to 1000 part milk.
that is a little less than 1/4 tsp per gallon. If your cheese turns out rubbery to much rennet is the cause.  Pete

Sosukhe

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:49:32 PM »
I'm using animal rennet. Sooo... this rennet  I have is five times stronger than a single strenght ::) roger that!!! I could support production of a small diary for a month with this rennet i have  ;D

Sosukhe

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »
Update on my blue cheese.  I washed the rind today and pierced the sides of it.

Pete S

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
  Looks very good.  Did you taste the crumbs that your piercing created? were they good?----Pete

Sosukhe

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
Hmmm... well thats an idea for next piercing. But the smell of it is somewhat fruity and fresh, like very young blue cheese.. The inside of cheese is moist and soft.. two weeks more and imma slice into it and see the outcome...

Pete S

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:57 AM »
  Sounds great! Let us know how it turns out. I will bet it tastes great.     Pete

Sosukhe

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
This is another cheese, i didn't want to open a new thread, so I'm posting in here.
This was suposed to be blue cheese buuut I also added some PC to the milk just to see the result.
And here it is... after about two weeks of ripening couldn't resist anymore to cut it. Taste is nice, picant, has characteristics of camembert, and that sharp taste of bluecheese. But it is not fully ripen, i will let it another week or so wraped in paper in the fridge.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 06:33:03 PM »
The first blue looks awesome.  The second cheese is a cambozola and should had ripened a bit longer.  If you look at it from the side, after cutting, you can see that the PC was softening the cheese which is very desirable.  A cheese to you for your fantastic cheeses and efforts! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Pete S

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
  Great looking cheeses.  Here is a cheese for you    Pete

Sosukhe

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
Thanks alot yall!  ;D  my first cheeses woho!
Yes, i figured it out cambozola needs to age a bit more, so I wraped it and placed it back in the fridge.