Author Topic: Alpine Tomme - I'm just not cut out for "natural rinds"!  (Read 4513 times)

High Altitude

Alpine Tomme - I'm just not cut out for "natural rinds"!
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
So, I made an Alpine Tomme (Karlin's book) and tried to let it age out "naturally" (i.e., dry brushing only).

It seemed to go okay, except that the molds didn't evenly form over the cheese.  It also got some really dark spots on one side especially.  I found it to be "messy" brushing the molds over a sink (molds flying everywhere).

I finally came to the realization that I don't really have the environment to successfully grow natural mold rinds, and another realization (that I was trying to fight in my effort to "do" this right)...that I like my cheeses to be pretty & clean & pristine! I'm sorry, and I will continue to applaud the many of you who create such extraordinary and gorgeous wild rind cheeses (I'm jealous, really).

It took a lot of hard brushing with vinegar/salt solution to get off all the molds. And, here is my 6.5 week old tomme, showing the "before" weak wild rind attempt, and the "after" wheel all cleaned up and coconut oiled for the remainder of affinage.

linuxboy

Re: Alpine Tomme - I'm just not cut out for "natural rinds"!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
It is very tough to do at home consistently on a small scale. I would stick to the classic morge or 3% brine wash for rind maintenance on a small scale. Usually just easier to bag or paint with pva.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Id inoculate with a surface mold instead of letting it go on its own.    My wild mold is usually of the yellow and green family which is non benificial to any style of cheese really.   

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
I'd say you did an excellent clean-up job! What type of brush do you use?

It would be difficult in a dry clime such as yours to get a good natural rind going.

As for me, I prefer the olde ways. I may try this bagging technique someday but, for me anyways, that takes away the hands-on experience of cheese making.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »

It would be difficult in a dry clime such as yours to get a good natural rind going.

I'm with High Altitude on this one , all my natural rinds tend to be awful , I always use cream wax (PVA) now , unless its a blue or brie.
And to me , local climates don't seem to make much difference , it's very moist all the time where I live , molds just love it here and my yard and deck is covered in moss.
I even get molds growing on the outside of the PVA coating , they're easy to wipe off tho , and never seem to get under the coating to the cheese.

I have lots of wild molds , just the wrong kind I guess. :(

High Altitude

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
Digit - I used these brushes. 

The nail brush for brushing molds (maintenance) and the OXO brush (with very tough bristles) for deep cleaning.  It worked great!

leboy001

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
High Altitude - great looking tomme. I have just started eating my first toome which looks almost identical to yours. the cheese tastes great but the rind tastes like the inside of a dirty fridge. I normally love a nice hard rind but not this time. So if you taste and dont like cut the rind.