Author Topic: First Camembert too runny at the edges  (Read 4333 times)

jackbox

First Camembert too runny at the edges
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
I just cut my Camembert for the first time and the edges are runny and the inside seems too soft. Also, after cutting the skin comes off the cheese. I think I let it ripen too long. The non-runny part that is soft still takes okay and the rind tastes ok also. It took 13 days for the mold to show and about 20+ days for it to be fully covered -- I think due to my cold ripening temps. I did not wrap it until today after cutting it.

jerryg

Re: First Camembert too runny at the edges
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
Most likely the cheese was still too moist when put in the cave.

jackbox

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »
Most likely the cheese was still too moist when put in the cave.

Thanks for replying. When I make it again I will let it drain longer than I did the first time. I will also leave it out after salting overnight to let it dry more. That was probably my mistake. I think I drained it enough but after salting I put in the cave straight away. It probably needed to dry out more. The rind and remaining cheese (very soft) taste exactly as they should. I am salvaging and eating what I can from it. Even the runny part tastes right but I am not eating that due to the obviously unpleasant runny texture.

Pete S

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »
 I wish mine would come out like yours.  Maybe I will not let mine set out to dry so long next time.

I can learn from your experience .  I like the runny texture.  Pete

Dairymaid

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »
This looks like a perfect camembert to me - isn't it meant to be runny round the edges?  I wish mine looked like yours - mine come out dry all the way through.  I have "cheese envy" looking at your photo ;-)

jackbox

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »
This looks like a perfect camembert to me - isn't it meant to be runny round the edges?  I wish mine looked like yours - mine come out dry all the way through.  I have "cheese envy" looking at your photo ;-)

I think it was too runny. After cutting it the runny part oozed out and there was quite a bit of it. It was the consistency of heavy cream. But the flavor is spot on. I gave my brother half of one and he ate it all pretty fast.

stratocasterdave

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »
It looks good to me.  Mine are usually very runny to.

My first cam was almost all liquid.  I experimented with drying the curd longer as well as cooler ripening.  Still got a little runny but I kind of like that.  Probably not exactly to the character though.

Dave

whitelake

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
curd may not be acidic enough so you get early protein breakdown. can be very bitter. make it warmer to get better acid development especially when in mould overnight. room needs to be 20-24 Centigrade

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »
Seems an awful long time for the mold to show up.  Mine are usually fully covered in a week.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
I would agree that it is a long time for mould to develop. I drain mine at room temp. for 24 hours and then put in a closed container at around 6C, turning daily and draining and drying the container as necessary. I get complete coverage in 2 weeks which is when I wrap them.
- Andrew