Author Topic: Shipping cheese?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Shipping cheese?
« on: November 02, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
I want to send a cheese from California to my brother in Wisconsin as a gift. Usually I vacuum seal the cheeses. Is this idea realistic? Any thoughts on how to ship?
Susan

High Altitude

Re: Shipping cheese?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »
Oh sure!  I mail cheese to relatives all the time.  I vacuum pack (and don't forget to label) and send in a box with padding (newspaper or bubble wrap)...no problems whatsoever.

When the post office worker asks if you are sending anything perishable, say "no".  I don't consider it perishable in vacuum pack (because it's not going to leak), and it certainly won't perish in the couple/few days your cheese takes to get to it's destination.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:21:10 PM »
If your willing to spend,  you can get a small stryrofoam insulated box , put a few freezer packs (thos plastic things filled with coolant and it will remain cold in there for days. wont even sweat fat :)

Ms. Muffet

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »
I ship all over to family in multiple states.  I found a place in Dallas, TX that sells shipping kits, the box, the styrofoam cooler and the freezer packs to put inside the shipper so your cheese stays cold.  In the summer this can be an issue.  You want your cheese to be edible upon arrival, and it can spoil in the heat.  dryicepacks.com offers shipping kits  in various sizes and their prices are pretty good too.  I can pack and ship a box and it can go 3 day delivery and still be cold when it arrives.   

Ms. Muffet

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:17 AM »
I send cheese all over to family.  I get a shipping kit from dryicepacks.com.  They depending on the size you want or need, you will get an external box, the styrofoam cooler and a couple of sheets of dry ice substitute.  You wet it, and it bulks back up.  Just pop it in the freezer for a couple days before shipping and you're good to go.  I also add an ice pack from Coleman's just in case.  They're very reasonably priced.  I shipped my last cheese via 2 or three day delivery in June from the Midwest.  Got to its destination just fine and still cold.  And I also vacuum seal my cheeses with the exception of my camemberts.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 04:14:18 AM »
Being that it was December, I took a chance and mailed the cheese "Priority" with the USPS. It arrived in less than 48 hours from California to Wisconsin in fine condition. My brother has it in the basement which is about 50 degrees. When he opens the gouda I am hoping he sends me a photo and his tasting notes, because it sure was hard to part with it without a taste!
Susan