Author Topic: Temp controllers suitable for Australia/NZ (240V) that don't need wiring?  (Read 2366 times)

animal_eatdrums

Hi everybody...

I'm new to cheesemaking, and I've recently inherited a small bar fridge which I would like to use for aging my cheeses if possible.

However, I've been looking everywhere online for a relatively inexpensive (but preferably not "cheap and nasty") temperature controller which is suitable for use in Australia (i.e. , 240V mains power) and doesn't require me to rewire anything (I'm neither a fridge mechanic nor an electrician) but sadly, I haven't had any luck so far.

Ideally, I'd like a "plug and play" type temperature controller that works in a similar fashion, for example, to the Johnson controllers that seem to be popular amongst many people on this forum, where you plug the controller into the mains, then plug the fridge into a power point on the controller, put the probe inside the fridge, and set the temperature you want on the controller box.

However, many of the "plug and play" temperature controllers I've seen online (eg, Johnson controllers) are not suitable for use here in Australia as they run on 110V mains power, not 240V. 

Meanwhile I'm getting by with a small Esky and a few freezer bricks, but it's getting close to summer here at the moment, and if I forget to change the ice bricks in the Esky, my poor little cheeses will be ruined.

I can't justify buying a wine fridge when I've got a perfectly good little bar fridge that's begging to be put to good use as a cheese cave...

Any suggestions?

Spoons

Re: Temp controllers suitable for Australia/NZ (240V) that don't need wiring?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »
I've been keeping my eye on the Brewbit. It's a bit expensive, but it has dual probe capabilities, meaning you can age cheese in two separate caves with one device and two set temperature points.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brewbit/brewbit-model-t-wireless-temperature-controller

Golani51

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:25 PM »
Where are you located?

I use the STC1000 from ebay which is $20 delivered. It does require some wiring, but there are a number of step-by-step instructions sets making it simple. I have 5 of them and made up another 7 or so for friends. Half hour for absolutely everything, including mounting in a box.

I can help you out if you wish.

animal_eatdrums

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
Hello - sorry for not replying earlier...
Many thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated !

@Golani51 - Many thanks for your offer of assistance with the STC1000 - much appreciated...
However, I live a long way away from you - about an hour's drive north of Newcastle NSW.
A few weeks ago I had a fairly close look at the STC1000 online, and even found a Youtube video on how to wire it up at the time, but if I did decide to get one, I'd probably wind up getting an electrician or fridge mechanic to wire it up for me.

@Spoons - If what the website says about the BrewBit is true, it looks "to-die-for". If only I had the money....
Maybe one day...

Meanwhile, it looks as though it might be my lucky day - I've since had a poke around on some home brew forums and I've discovered the existence of the "Keg King" temperature controllers. Anyone had any experience with these? They're listed at $69.95 for the 16amp "plug and play" version...

http://www.kegking.com.au/Temperature%20Controllers%20and%20Measurement%20Devices.html