Author Topic: The Leaning Stilton of Eccles Take Two.  (Read 3318 times)

graysalchemy

The Leaning Stilton of Eccles Take Two.
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
Well I made another stilton last monday. It has been turned daily all week and I have just taken it out of its mould to find

;D ;D

So hopefully for christmas I will be pairing it with

and a bottle or two of my Pale ale.  >:D

I used H-K-J method but used a piece of stilton for the R.roqueforti and buttermilk. I used 12 pints of whole milk and have got about 2 lb of cheese.

After the last disaster where the curds still had to much whey in them I used H-K-J method of draining and then pressing with 8lb of weight. I  used a piece of stilton for the R.roqueforti and buttermilk. I used 12 pints of whole milk and have got about 2 lb of cheese.

I know it wasn't an exact science (something I want to do) but so far it looks much better than the last sad attempt.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: The Leaning Stilton of Eccles Take Two.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
this looks like it has come along nicely, have you smoothed it up?
at least it isn't leaning ;) should turn out to be an excellent cheese
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

graysalchemy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »
Like yours it is 8 days old, but i have since smoothed it up as best as I can, perhaps I should have done it friday, but I make cheese at work in my workshop (don't ask I brew beer as well part of my mid life crisis I think), so it was left to its own devices over the weekend.

Anyway it seems a lot better than the previous attempt.

Cheers

GA

;D ;D

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »
That's looking fabulous. A cheese to you for what seems to be a successful attempt! What mould have you used for the forming? Diameter, height?

Is the bread yours as well?

graysalchemy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »
The mould was a stainless steel kitchen utensil holder, it has loads of big holes in it and only cost £3. it is about 4.5" across by 5.5" deep I think. Unfortunately Asda don't sell them any more I nearly picked up a few more wish I had now.

The bread is my 24 hr sourdough baguettes, basically they take 24 hrs to make with a long autolysis period and an overnight proving. I have a great baguette mold which helps hold their shape.

;D

Geodyne

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »
What a great mould idea. Ingenious. I bought some plastic food containers about the same size the other day to try, but they taper slightly so I'm not sure how well they'll do.

A long sourdough autolysis is the most traditional way to make baguette. I read a social history of French baking once which had a great description of that. I'll bet they're delicious.

graysalchemy

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
Yes they are my kids make me make them every weekend  :D :D.

Just been looking for an alternative mould as asda no longer stock them. Low and behold go old Ikea do the same one fro £2.

Happy days  ;D ;D

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
Hmmm they are building an Ikea just a from km near the new highway.  I see many cheap cheese accessories in my future :)

graysalchemy

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
This is the Uk page for the item but I am sure they will be universal.

Just found that Asda had just moved them so I got another one.  :D

graysalchemy

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »
Well 2 weeks in and it is blue but it seems to be developing a white mold as well, is this normal?

Sorry for the poor photo.

I am hopefully having this ready to eat at christmas, when should I pierce it?

Thanks

GA

Geodyne

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
Mine certainly developed a fuzzy while mold, particularly when I went away and neglected them for 2-3 weeks at a time. The first time I brushed it back to great success, but the I regret the second brushing because they've been quite slimy since. I thought I brushed gently but that might not be the case.

I stand to be corrected because you've now made twice as many stiltons as I have, but I'd wait for the blue to mostly cover the cheese before piercing. Maybe a few more days. That's so the blue can outcompete any other molds there.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »
I would say it looks just fine,
I have pierced mine as early as ten day's and as late as twenty, so it's kinda up to you.
if you pierce it early you might have to do it one or two more times over the course of the ageing period to keep the holes open,
mold will grow and close them up, wish I had that much blue on my latest one.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

graysalchemy

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »
wish I had that much blue on my latest one.

Like my other stilton i used a piece of blue cheese made into a paste. However last time I used a decent piece of stilton, this time I used a piece of generic supermarket blue cheese which tasted quite awful but I guessed the blue was P.Roqueforti, as it turned out it has been quite potent  :D

I think I will pierce it over the next few days.

Thanks for you help both of you.

graysalchemy

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »
Well I have now pierced it.  :D :D

Geodyne

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
Excellent. I'm sure I can hear those moulds growing, all the way from the bottom of the world.