Gouda recipes... adjusting quantities

Started by bgreen, November 05, 2013, 04:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgreen

Hi

I was wanting to make another Gouda using this recipe....

http://wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:gouda-washed-curd-howto&catid=43:moderate-cook-temp&Itemid=66

Instead of the quantity of milk listed... about 12 litres, i was wanting to increase to 16 litres.... what can i say i like Gouda!

Is it a simple matter of increasing proportionally:

The amount of culture... i use a mother culture
The amount of rennet
And a proportionate increase in the amount of water in washing the curd.

Would that work or am i over simplifying things... thanks for your help.

Cheers Bruce

Tomer1

Yeah its that simple, just calculate your culture to 1.8-2% bulk.  (% of volum of milk)
Obviously more rennet and water for washing. (I go by about 20% volume of whey\milk)

jwalker

Gouda is my all time favorite , I do them regularly.

For 4 gallons (16l) , I use 1/4 tsp meso and FD.

I use rennet tablets , 1/2 tablet works fine for 4 gallons.

After cutting and washing curds , I put curds in mold and put it back in the whey and press under whey.

Make sure to add the calcium chloride and vinegar to the brine , the vinegar really sets up the rind nicely so the cheese will hold its shape later , and dries it nicely for coating (I coat mine with PVA).

That works for me.

bgreen

Hi JWalker

Thanks for the useful info and tips... it is nice to know it is that straightforward.

Cheers Bruce

cowboycheese

Interesting - I just followed that recipe last Saturday and adjusted for 5 gallons + the standard amount of cacl2. Thanks Pav for your hard work on that website and concise instructions with ph markers. I used just shy of double or 1/4 tea the MM100 and FD and stuck to 3/4 tea of my liquid super-rennet from Yoav's Artisan Geek shop (shameless plug). Yoav's rennet acts very fast on the Cozy Cow NH milk I get so I tend to use about 1/2 the recipe amount in order to get a floc time I can work with - something a bit more than "in the blink of an eye". Somewhere on someone's signature here was a quote about adding too much rennet and wanting to kill something... If you plan on washing out about 20% of the whey, then you will be OK. Mine turned out well - still drying. I'll take pics this evening, cream coat and make a posting asap.