Author Topic: Thick crust, liquid inside  (Read 2327 times)

svetlen

Thick crust, liquid inside
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »

Pasteurized milk 5 liters, leaven type 100 MM, mold, peeled purchased. This time clot not cut, and not вымешивала and bucket filmed parts and shifted immediately to the form. That has left the 36 day. Taste with a little bitterness, quite edible :(, but not more.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Thick crust, liquid inside
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
Hmmmm... It looks like it was aged at too high a temperature, otherwise it looks wonderful.
What temperature did you age it at?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

svetlen

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »

Ambassador and day 13-15C, then about 10 days at a temperature 11-13 C in the wine fridge, then wrapped in paper the remaining 25 days at 4-5 С in the refrigerator. The smell good. All the same, the taste is not as bad as painted on sweet biscuits with the coffee, not bad :). Maybe the next will do better.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »
Size looks good.  The wrinkles suggest the geo got out of hand, and that would "melt" the insides as well.  I found if I didn't stir the curds, and stirr them fairly well, I would just get liquid paste as well.  Getting cam and brie to drain properly is important as too much fluid retention can lead to this runny centre.  Cut your curds to 2.5 cm cubes, and stir for 20 or 30 minutes, fairly authoritatively, to help expel the whey.  Then gently transfer the curds to your mould.  Some people do have luck with just ladeling the uncut curds into the mould, but you have to slice it thin to aid in whey removal.   Those would be my suggestions.  Anyway, sounds like it tastes ok, which is the important thing. 

- Jeff

svetlen

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »

Yes, Jeff, you're right, when I made to your prescription with cutting cubes and mixing, the result was very good. And this time decided to other prescription and this frustration. But this acquisition his experience, and I know how to do, and how not to. Now only your recipe for future attempts brie.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
I think if you can work out the technique of this method, the results are worth it.  However, it requires taking very thin slices of the curd, and the mould has to be open top and bottom to aid draining, etc.  Getting it to drain is the important bit.  But the thin layers in the mould that settle probably result in a nice texture, if you can get it to that point.  Keep working on both methods by making one cheese via this ladeling method, then cut and stir the curd for the next cheeses.

- Jeff

svetlen

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 03:50:32 PM »

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your advice!