Author Topic: Whey Ricotta Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 2639 times)

summersstudio

Whey Ricotta Cheese Making Recipe
« on: March 07, 2009, 03:32:28 PM »
I've made this twice now from the whey of a farmhouse cheddar and from the whey of cheese curds. This is essentially a blend of the recipe posted here on the forum ( (http://cheeseforum.org/Recipes/Recipe_Whey_Ricotta.htm ) and from cheesemaking.com. ( http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/217-Ricotta.html ). Both times this turned out really well, with a buttery, slighly nutty but sweet taste with a beautiful creamy texture. Beginners luck?

1. I started with the whey from 1 US gal of cheese recipe. I strained this directly into the pot from draining the curds of the cheese and set in on low heat on the stove. Started out at 84F. No stirring.

2. Heated to 160F over about 1.5 hours. Added 1 pint heavy cream (Ultra Pastuerized) and 1/2 pint pasturized whole milk. No stirring.

3. Heated slowly to 170F and stirred in 1/2 tsp salt. (maybe another 45 min). No stirring.

4. Heated slowly to 185F and stirred in 1/4C of white vinegar. Turned off heat. (maybe another hour)

5. The curds formed immediately and I gently pushed them into the middle with a slotted ladle. The curds were very soft and cloudlike at this point. They didn't so much rise as other recipes suggest as just appear on the top in one magic moment.

6. Let set for 15 minutes, then ladled into a ricotta basket and drained for 2 hours before refrigerating.

Yield: 15.2 oz (didn't measure the first one)

This worked beautifully and it seems to be repeatable ( at least twice ). It tastes very much the way I remember fresh ricotta from the Italian deli I shopped at in Melbourne. I know it seems like a lot of time to spend. But really this just sat on the stove while I was finishing up the cheese.

Oh and the dogs love the lasts of the whey over their kibble.

Tea

Re: Whey Ricotta Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
 Thanks for this recipe, I must give it a go next time I make ricotta.

Worlock

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:13:36 AM »
Gonna give this one a go tomorrow.  Thanks for the write up summersstudio!

Worlock

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »
hmm... I think I must have messed something up on this recipe/procedure.  Back to the drawing board.  My wife is insistent that I make her some Ricotta.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:56:56 AM »
I'll have to try this I usually make the mozzerella/Riccotta recipe because I use them together quite often but this looks interesting. Thansk for posting it.

I see cannoli in my future ...  ;)