Author Topic: A "Spoons" problem (measuring spoons), Buyer beware!  (Read 600 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • M & S Farm
Re: A "Spoons" problem (measuring spoons), Buyer beware!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 05:53:15 AM »
The blunt needle I am using is 3 inches long. I could have used a much shorter one. So there is no way for a syringe to account for what length needle I am using...

Susan, Why not remove the needle and just use the syringe. That is what I do. The syringe does not need the needle to draw up the rennet.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline scasnerkay

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 11:08:56 AM »
The syringe does not fit in the bottle of rennet!  At any rate, knowing the amount of rennet held in the needle makes it easy for me now.
Susan

Offline John@PC

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »
Just saw your post Spoons and it reminded me of my "discovery" a year or so ago.  I bought a really nice set of Volrath oval measuring spoons from KaTom and used them for several months until something caught my eye.  The 1/8 tsp seemed smaller than it should so I got my gram scale out and discovered it was 1/16 tsp :o.  I sent an email to KaTom and they were very nice so I decided not to sue for damaged cheeses.  Just for curiousness sake though I just went to their website and pulled up the picture of the spoons and it looks unfortunately like nothing has changed  :(.  That said I still use Volrath steam table pans that are quite good quality for the price.

Offline dirigoma

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
While we're covering the issue of mis-sized spoons (I pondered this just the other day but my family was much less interested) ... how about inconsistent thermometers?? 

I have 5 ... large, 2 small, digital and solar!  They NEVER align.  I boil water, test them and use whichever is closest at the time.  Have tried adjusting with a wrench but they seem to differ by different amounts depending on the temp I'm checking?

Anyone else have this trouble ... or solutions?

Thanks!
Milking Nubian Goats in western MA and trying my hand at fresh and aged cheeses

Offline awakephd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 24
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
I have two thermometers; I calibrate them to boiling water, but then at 90 degrees F, they will differ by 3-4 degrees. Now that I know that, and have marked which one reads higher than the other, I can use them together (one in the milk, one in the water bath) ... but of course I don't know which one is actually closer to the correct temperature!

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline John@PC

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 10:07:38 AM »
I have two thermometers; I calibrate them to boiling water, but then at 90 degrees F, they will differ by 3-4 degrees.
That's the problem with two of any kind of sensors / meters:  if they are off which one(s) is(are) off ????  Checking in boiling water is really easy if you're steam sterilizing, but you do need a second cal point.  The best I know of is a regular home thermometer checked at 100F or so which is right in the range of cheesemaking. 

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 02:51:18 PM »
I too have found that at the boiling point my thermometers vary +/- 2 or 3 degrees so I looked at the 32 degree end of the scale,
that ended up right-on or maybe 1 degree difference to me that being closer to the 100 degree area for cheese.
just kinda the way my mind works :o
act as if it were impossible to fail.