Author Topic: Spoons' Curd Knife Build: Built for food pans  (Read 21113 times)

Kern

Re: Spoons' Curd Knife Build: Built for food pans
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »
I've built versions of the Spoon's curd knife that will cut from 1/4" and up.  The problem at the lower spaced cuts is that you get a great deal of "push back" from the renneted milk that tends to pile up and shove the curds to the sides of of the cutter.  John@pc has suggested using baffles to help prevent this.  I'll take his word for it that these baffles work as I have not tried them my self.

Your idea still requires a minimum of two passes with the cutter and the horizontal and vertical cuts would likely result in the above, also.  I use the Spoon's cutter first first making the horizontal cut, then the long vertical cut and finally the short vertical cuts.  I think that the time saved in making two cuts rather than three would pale in comparison with the time required to string the cutter as your idea would require not to mention the problem above. 

I'll be making a large cheese Friday that ultimately requires "pea sized curd".  I will probably do 3/4 inch cuts and finish the job with a long handled whisk.