Spoons' Curd Knife Build: Built for food pans

Started by Spoons, November 08, 2013, 01:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregore

I made one of these T  shaped  rotary  cutters  also  . At first I thought I would need some thing to keep it at the level needed for each rotary cut  like the bar attached to the top of the pot in the linkl. But I found that the curd held it there for each half turn , then lift and turn again. I bet that even an L shaped rod would work and you would just have to turn a full revolution.

awakephd

Gregore, that is interesting. Do you feel that you get consistent sizes even without something to index it?
-- Andy

Gregore

Compared to using a knife at an angle , which looks more like a blind child did it yes I would say they are 90 percent the same size . And I do get away with cutting the horizontal ones first , never tried the other way . 

Come to think of it , you may not get as even if the vertical is already cut  as there is less solid mass to hold the wire in the same plane

I also spent many hrs making and experimenting with  multi wire horizontal cutting , my opinion is that the smaller the batch and the rounder the pot the less likely it is to work.  I also found it abuses the curd too much for my liking . ( I have some pretty high tech equipment to make them so it was not for lack of quality )  and now I see why they charge so much for a commercial one.

I think that as a commercial maker the curd tearing to time saved ratio is probably acceptable , imagine cutting 100 gallons 1 slice at a time . The cheese would have fermented before you were done.
As  home makers have the luxury of no labor cost  and a small enough batch that it takes only minutes to cut with out mesh cutters .

The rotary cutter I use takes about 1 minutes to cut 3 gallons

Kern

I have been intrigued by Spoons design and ordered some 1/2 inch SS strips in 14 & 16 gauge 45 inches long.  They were shipped from Online's Metals (Spoons recommendation) Seattle facilities.  I was very surprised when I got them as they were bowed and twisted about 120 degrees over their length.  I was able to "undo" the twist but now find the middle edge arches about 1/2 inch when the strips are laid flat.  I spoke with the Online folks who told me this was pretty standard when narrow strips are sheared from plate steel.

I wonder if anyone else has attempted to make Spoons curd cutter and had the same experience with the steel they received?

Gregore

pic please I might be able to advise you how to fix it . 

Kern

Thanks, any advice would be helpful. The first picture shows the strip as received while the second shows the "bow" after I removed the twist.

John@PC

While the bow isn't negligible I think it's manageable for Spoon's design.  Straighter would be better, though.

Gregore

That is pretty bad , but I think it is still usable . I still see some twist in it so that is the first thing that needs to go . Then I would not worry about the bend  at least  not yet.

Next start to do the layout of where you want your 90 degree bends . Mark with a felt , I would bend it over the corner of a desk or some thing like that  as  I am sure you do not a a bending brake .  when it is all bent up as you want it you may find that the bow that is left is hardly noticeable . If it still needs fixing you can unbow it by hand .

One thing that would work for sure but not so easy for some one without the right tools is to heat it up until it is annealed . Need a torch for that . I think a BBQ would not be hot enough , but I maybe wrong on that .

When it is annealing it will wiggle around  like  a snake then settle down to almost straight .

Sounds like you have more than one to try it out on

Spoons

Kern, mine were slightly bent too. Especially the 0.5'' cut.  I simply clamped the problem area on a vice and hammered gently on the metal strip (very close to the vice) with a rubber mallet. Repeat the process as needed until it's fairly straight. Mine wasn`t perfect but I still proceeded to the steps to build the harp. I used the mallet & vice as I went along building the harp and ended up with pretty good results. The whole thing take less than an hour to build even with these extra ''straightening'' steps.

IllinoisCheeseHead

Spoons.  Where did you get the steel plate for the frame itself?.  I would like to try to make one and I really think what you designed makes a lot of sense.

Thanks

Kern

ICH,  If you go to page 1 of this thread you'll find the link to Spoon's source for the SS strips. 

BobbieGee

Hello,
I am interested in the "pan" that you show in these photos. Could you please give me information about it? I need a vat for about 12 gallons of milk and haven't been able to figure out where to get one....any help/information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bobbie Greiner
Bemidji, MN

Al Lewis

If you want to make the "handle section" stronger then make it long and twist it several turns.  The twist will make it more rigid.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

Quote from: BobbieGee on June 06, 2015, 04:36:45 PM
I am interested in the "pan" that you show in these photos. Could you please give me information about it? I need a vat for about 12 gallons of milk and haven't been able to figure out where to get one....any help/information would be appreciated.

The stainless steel vat shown in this thread is what is known as a "full size steam table pan".  Google this and you'll be flooded with information.  Unfortunately, the largest of these is eight inches tall and only able to accommodate a 6-gallon batch.  There is a double size 8-inch pan which presumably will take 12 gallons but the depth to surface area ratio is somewhat awkward - very wide and shallow.  John@PC has used polycarbonate food storage containers with some success.  These vats are usually heated on a griddle and heating becomes problematic as the volume increases.  I can get 1F/minute with my full size 8" pan using a Presto 1800 watt griddle.  PC food storage containers come in very large sizes that would easily accommodate a 12-gallon batch but you'd have to use two griddles with two controllers.

An alternative is a stainless steel stock pot.  You can find these in huge sizes.  I would direct heat these on a gas stove with constant stirring. 

When you get to this size you'll have to siphon the whey into a bucket during draining.  There is simply too much weight to safely pick up a vat this large.

Scuba_Steve

Looks like an awesome idea!  I'm brand new to this, but I had thought of an addition.  Ever thought about drilling holes on the other 2 sides and stringing those as well so it would make both horizontal and vertical cuts in one pass?