Author Topic: Freezing Raw milk for cheesemaking  (Read 2802 times)

Tomer1

Freezing Raw milk for cheesemaking
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
I've recently have had many bacterial originated failures (bloating cheeses) involving pressed and lactic raw cheeses.
As I've been making cheese in fairly large 20-30 liter batchs its becoming a waste of money. Im down about 100$ in cow and sheep's milk made into sponge, and thats without taking into acount the pain of losing sleep (going to bed at 2-3 A.M at the end of the make).

In an affort to isolate the problem (this has been accuring in various milk sources which has me source the contamination to my plastic milk bucket which has some surface scratches, and will be replaced with smaller 10L HDPE narrow containers with tap to allow for the skimming of milk to make enriched cream cheeses...) Id like to first freeze the fresh milk and use a trick from peter dixon -
Checking the cleanliness of the milk. - 
Putting a raw sample in a sterilized flask and check to see that curd is forming without cloudiness or gas.  then If milk is found clean, cheesemake the F out of it  ^-^   
If not, heat treat...

So what are the effects of freezing on the milk? is it a good idea?

linuxboy

Re: Freezing Raw milk for cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
You can do it with high solids milk. Sheep and some goat. Cow, not so much. Why not just pasteurize right way? It's honestly pretty tough to get so much contamination from utensils that it ruins the curd. usually, that's a clear sign of dirty milk at source.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »
I see...
I was sure its the HDPE barrel because I poured cooled pastuerized milk into it for a lactic milk and got gas.  (I didnt sanitize the barrel again, just washed it from the raw milk with soap and cold water).

Given that I transport the milk warm (milking temp) you dont think that its the cause?   the barrel was previously used for wine fermentation... yeast being a sure bet to get bloated gassy cheese.

The last sheep tomme make had a starting pH of 6.62 which seems in order.  The previous raw milk fail was cow's milk at 6.50 which Yoav noted is very low (possibly they didnt clean the tank properly and mixed very old milk with fresh milking).

The only difference was that with the cow's milk before moulding I knew its goner as it didnt smell so good. (that yeasty aroma has already started).  with the sheep's milk It smelled perfectly fine, I thought I was in the clear but then BAM cheese has floaded the mould. gas production was so intense that it lifted the dutch press arm (pressed fairly light at about 0.2 psi).

Come to think of it, could it be the culture contaminated? it is a repackaged probat 222.  repacked into vacumed foils with ziplock. powder looks good and unclumped. 
gone do a mother culture and see...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:52:22 PM by Tomer1 »

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:03:44 PM »
With so many variables, can isolate and see based on differential. Change the vat, change the tools, etc based on probabilistic vector analysis. It's possible that the plastic has scratches and has some residual yeast. Lactofermentation test would definitely give you result if it's the milk.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
I have frozen my raw milk with very good results.
The milk should be cooled down to 45 degrees or less within two hours, unless it is going right into the vat. How long before you make the cheese did it sit warm? That would be a good place for bacteria to start growing. All milk contains bacteria even from the cleanest source. By cooling it down fast you do not kill the bacteria but halt it's growth.
I also would sanitize everything that comes in contact with the milk prior to use every time!

Alpkäserei

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »
I have been told by dairy farmers that if you freeze cow's milk immediately, it will be OK. If you let it sit warm too long or wait too long to freeze it, it does not work well.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
One more thought on your milk, if raw did it come from a licensed farm? If not those animals Might have some underlying issue.

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
All came from commerical producers...
When making the cheese I go within an hour to the vat and start the make.

Lactofermentation test would definitely give you result if it's the milk
Thats the test I described , right?

I so plan to chill quickly in an ice bath and move it to the freezer in blast mode so its frozen solid within two-three hours.

From the raw cheeses that were successful, I just feel like I get better cheese with more complexity and possibly faster maturation.
So I want to continue that route, without throwing time and milk down the drain.