Author Topic: My 2nd Stiltonesque  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My 2nd Stiltonesque
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
Or, it may mean things are out of sync, and be less than it could be ; a sort of anti-army cheese.
Cute. ;)

All will be fine, I'm sure.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
Where as you are ageing for just the six week's it will be young and blue :o
I'll bet this will be fine 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »
Thanks guys!  The conditions here are very condusive to fast growing blue mould.  I should use less in the make next time and maybe that will slow it down?  Anyway, as long as the paste isn't too young, I'm hopeful this will end up as a nice one.  Fingers crossed. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 05:56:18 PM »
Hi,

Pierced this today.  It now weighs in at 1294g.  The paste is very creamy, as can be seen by the extrusions around the piercings.  They taste quite good too.  I think this should be ready in about 3 more weeks, which would only be around a month or so, but my last attempt went too long at 60 days and had ammoniated so this time I'm going for around a month and base the next one on that.  Of course, I get to keep sampling it once cut, so that will also help determine the proper aging times for my conditions and tastes. 

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
Jeff that does look creamy :)
I have had to re-pierce mine, starting to bring on some of the blue taste ;D it will be 6 weeks tomorrow.

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »
Repierced this the other day (it was 1168g).  Still very creamy, and has a nice flavour.  Took a picture, but can't find the card reader at the moment, so will post when that surfaces.  This will be ready to cut into quite soon I think. 

- Jeff

KTownCheese

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
were anxiously waiting for pics!

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
One of my children has hidden the card reader!  Will post when it reappears, most likely covered in peanut butter.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
Found it!  Here it is after repiercing.  Weighs in at 1168g, still very creamy.  Still wet (hence sitting on the paper towel) actually, with a few drops of moisture leaking out of the holes.  Has a nice flavour (at least the bits that oozed out around the skewer).  This is now over a month old, so I think I'll cut into it soon as it is better to catch it too early than too late! 

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
WOW!! thats a scary rind  :o I'll bet it will taste MMMMmmmm guuuuud :P

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
It is a cheese more appropriate for Hallowe'en than Christmas, but one takes what one gets I suppose! :)  The early blue bloom that got smoothed makes it look quite frightening, and also, due to the moisture, it's got some linens in there too.  A very colourful rind has been the final result.  The few tastes I had of the soft paste that smeared out is very promising of good things too come.  I just have to make sure I don't over do it as my first one went south after reaching this point as I over ripened it.

- Jeff

jwalker

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
That is a nice rind , it's funny , if anything else in the house looked like that it would be thrown away instantly , but with cheese , it just gets better.

I can't wait to see it cut and read the review.

JeffHamm

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »
We're off to visit some friends, so it was time to test this one to see if it is "share worthy".  It weighs in at 1142g, no ammonia smell.  I cut a wedge to test with lunch, and it gets a big thumbs up.  Vanessa really liked it.  Wonderfully smooth creamy paste, very nice and definite blue flavour but not "spicy" or too strong (which suits the target market; i.e. my family!)  It's exactly the sort of profile I was going for, so I'm very chuffed right now.  The linens has introduced some nice tones underneath as well, but they are not so strong as to warp the flavour profile into something confused and trying to be too many things.  Thanks for making this make available Pav! 

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 11:19:24 PM »
It looks wonderful :o
A cheese to you MMMMMmmmmmmmm!

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
Thanks H-K-J.  When it warms up to room temp, it is much stronger!  I like it, but it may not have as wide ranging appeal as a milder one. 

- Jeff