Author Topic: Vegetable cans for camembert  (Read 2021 times)

amiriliano

Vegetable cans for camembert
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
Has anyone used large vegetable cans (like the ones for San Marzano tomatoes) as a cheap camembert mold over a sushi mat? They are approx 4.5inches diamteter and 5 inches tall.

Will I get enough drainage without side holes?

Thanks in advance!

John@PC

Re: Vegetable cans for camembert
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
Drainage shouldn't be a problem, but if you're talking about a "tin" can with the ends cut off I wouldn't risk it because of the acidity of the curds - it will rust! 

Pete S

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:11:20 AM »
  The tomatoes are also acidic so the coating in the can should be acid proof. Pete

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »
  The tomatoes are also acidic so the coating in the can should be acid proof. Pete
  The coating will be but the exposed edges at the cut seams won't.  I used to use chrome-plated bread racks for draining cheese until my wife made me quit because I was rusting her racks.  The can could be worth a try, but I would inspect the ends for signs of oxidation.  If you don't see any you should be good to go (but I would still check the ends before reusing the cans).

WovenMeadows

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53:47 AM »
I have made tall plastic rings from 1-gallon plastic jugs before, which work okay for camembert type molds. Cut off the base and the top. The thinner, translucent plastics from e.g. vinegar jugs can be a bit too wobbly, but thicker plastic from (in my experience) maple syrup or molasses jugs works okay. Hardest part is getting an even, level cut all around. Can also poke some holes from the inside-out for extra drainage as well.

graysalchemy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
I have used these

Available from Ikea worldwide. I actually bought mune from Asda (walmart) in the UK.

They are stainless steel. The only slight problem is the holes are about 5mm so quite big though but fine if you use a  cheese cloth on the inside to line them.  :D

amiriliano

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
Thank you all! Very helpful :)

amiriliano

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
Genius!

I have used these

Available from Ikea worldwide. I actually bought mune from Asda (walmart) in the UK.

They are stainless steel. The only slight problem is the holes are about 5mm so quite big though but fine if you use a  cheese cloth on the inside to line them.  :D