Author Topic: I want to cut the cheese  (Read 1207 times)

GlennK

I want to cut the cheese
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:01 AM »
I'm planning a 2 gal. Colby and I'm going to put it in my 4 inch mold, and I was thinking of cutting it in half, at some point. Should I wait till it's aged enough, or can I cut it before I wax it? Does it matter?

Pete S

Re: I want to cut the cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:27:56 AM »
  I cut mine at the time. I wax or coat them.
 this works for us. The cheese might age differently and probably in less time with the smaller size.
 We are pleased with the results.       Pete

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:47 AM »
I would cut it at the time the it is starting to dry. I think that's when the rind starts forming.

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
I age mine whole , and when I feel it's time to try it , I cut off a piece and re-coat or wax the cut edge and put back in cave for further aging if needed.

But it's personal preference in the long run.

A two gallon make in a 4 inch mold would make two nice cheeses.

What I have done in the past , is put half the curds in the mold , then a thin piece of plastic (cut just a little smaller than mold) , then the other half of curds on top and press , after pressing , they easily separate into two nice cheeses.

Geodyne

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
I'm pleased to read that jwalker. I bought some cylindrical moulds with end caps and had wondered how well that methos would work to press two small cheeses on top of each other in the same press.

Thankyou!

GlennK

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
Jwalker - good idea!