Author Topic: Cream added Jack - Results at 3 months  (Read 1236 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Cream added Jack - Results at 3 months
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
I have had trouble with this cheese all along. The make was not easy, with difficulty with measuring pH accurately, and probably dropping a little too low before salting, and for terminal pH for the make. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11880.msg91391.html#msg91391 In the cave I had to open it and re-vacuum bag a few times due to collecting whey in the bag. I am wondering if the higher fat content made for too much moisture retention. I did have a 3.5 flocculation multiplier as well.
So I was disappointed when I cut it open. It is not so bad I should feed it to the chickens! The cheese is both creamy and crumbly. there is a bit of an acid aftertaste. But it does melt nicely, so perhaps it will not be for slicing on a cracker but will be for melting on tortillas. Not a total loss, but not my best attempt.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:52:05 AM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Spoons

Re: Cream added Gouda - Results at 3 months
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »
I don't know if the fat content was a factor, but traditional gouda is around 2.8% fat with a PF ratio of about 1:1.5.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:03 AM »
Shared some of this and those that ate it pronounced it good. However, I decided to re-bag most of it and put it back in the cave. I will check back with it in a couple of months I think...
Susan

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »
I have to say it looks great to me. Cheddary.