Author Topic: Late season milk  (Read 2246 times)

Pete S

Late season milk
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »
  What do you do to of set the effects of late season milk.

I have increased the culture - let ripen longer and let the rennet have more time but still get very fragile curds.

I still get acceptable cheese by treating the curds very gently.  But I wonder what else I can do.  Pete

linuxboy

Re: Late season milk
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
Add more rennet and heat a bit more to help drive out the moisture. Or make different cheese. If curds are still fragile, it might just be components or effects of lactation cycle/heats. High plasmin, for example, can create curd issues.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
We always would make different cheese when the milk quality is down.
Specifically, we would make cheese where the moisture content should be higher anyway, and that won't age as long. It's I think a good practice to have.

Out late season cheese would be Mutschli http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10178.msg75470.html#msg75470

Pete S

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
  Thanks Linuxboy. I think it is late season/late lactation.  How much can I increase the rennet without my cheese becoming rubbery.  I had that problem when I started, and was using rennet tablets. I have not had it happen since.
 because I make cheese for some Friends I don't want to send them home with bad cheese.  Pete

Pete S

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:27:03 AM »
  Thank you Alp.       I will try that for myself.
   I have been making a hard alpine cheese for long aging. I am hoping that it will turn out something like the cheese that my relatives in the old country sends me. This sounded like a short aged cheese that will be something like what I am trying to make.  Pete

Alpkäserei

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 03:47:41 AM »
Pete,

Where are your relatives in the Old Country, and what is the cheese they are sending you?

Back 2 The Frotture

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
what kind of milk are you using?

Pete S

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:27:24 AM »
Pete,

Where are your relatives in the Old Country, and what is the cheese they are sending you?

Alp

They are from the Rhineland of Germany west of the Rhine . They git the cheese from relatives that live in a village high in the mountains. the cheese is made in the summer when the cows are kept in the higher pastures. they call in something in German that I am told means summer cheese from the mountains   Pete

Pete S

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 06:56:18 AM »
what kind of milk are you using?

I have 1gal. fresh cow--  1 gal. fresh goat--  and 2 gal. p/h each week to work with.   Pete

Alpkäserei

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »
Almkäse, perhaps? or Bergkäse?