Author Topic: Beechers Flagship  (Read 365 times)

Offline farmboypeter

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Beechers Flagship
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »
Looking for a recipe for Beecher's flagship. Wondering if anybody has one. Love that Stuff.
thank you

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 198
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
Re: Beechers Flagship
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
I don't know their exact culture cocktail. The make is a standard 39% moisture cheddar.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline tnbquilt

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 13
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:19:08 PM »
I love that stuff too. I saw some video's on the internet where the woman who was giving the tour stated that it was a mixture between a cheddar and a gruyere. That's not a recipe, but I heard her say that. It's aged for a long time, I think I bought one that said 18 months on the package.

It is a wonderful cheese.
Tammy

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • www.wacheese.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
Yes, in the sense that there's a helveticus adjunct. But the meso blend is important, too. They might use a danisco buttermilk culture as part of it and a Cargill or DSM single strain cremoris. I'm not sure.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline FRANCOIS

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 71
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
I'd suggest a mix of:

RA21
FLAV54
FD
Holdbac LC

You'll have to experiment with ratios.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline FRANCOIS

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 71
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
Just found a suggestion for a similar cheese from Danisco R&D in my files.  It's uses all Danisco cultures though:

RA range 6.25 DCU/100 l + 0.15 D/100l CHOOZIT FLAV 54 + 0,6 DCU/100 l CHOOZIT MD

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • www.wacheese.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
I know they use a single strain cremoris or diacetylactis because it's bought in a frozen can. And I know part of the blend is a multi-species (likely undefined) yogurt or buttermilk mix from danisco (because I saw it being added). The ratios are likely 10-15% total lactobacilli, 20% ish cremoris, and the rest classic l lactis. In line with what Francois posted.

It's modeled after WSU's cheese, and that's pretty close to what they use with their helveticus adjuncted cougar gold, too. The clothbound is more like a 37% moisture make, it's a little drier and salted a tad earlier. If you are using freeze-dried culture, RA + MD + a flav + maybe a little LBC would get you really close. I would not use a ton of delbrueckii or acidophilus if you're trying to blend, you will get wrong acidification and proteolysis. Would stick to adjuncting with helveticus, paracasei, and similar.

Offline farmboypeter

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
I am building a new vat and I will give them a try. I have not had a lot of success with cheddar.
thank you