Author Topic: Flavoring Yogurt  (Read 2466 times)

17super

Flavoring Yogurt
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »
Looking for suggestions/methods for flavoring yogurt. I am using fresh from the farm, whole cows milk, heating to 180 - 185 f for 30 minutes, cool to 112 - 115 f, add culture, incubate for 7-8 hrs. I am using dairy connection ABY-2C and ABY-653, both come out great with good texture and body but very tangy. I like sweet yogurt. I have tried sweetened strawberries but by the time I add enough to take the tanginess away all you taste is the berries and no yogurt. I would be grateful for your suggestions. Thanks, Jack.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Flavoring Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Hi Jack,  Have you considered using stevia, either plain or naturally flavored, to sweeten the yogurt?  Or maybe it's time to find a yogurt culture supplier that has different strains of cultures?  Or let it culture a shorter time?  If you want sweet it's probably going to involve lessening the tanginess rather than covering it up but I don't have enough experience to help you out.  I make kefir rather than yogurt because it's easier and I'm lazy/too busy for the fussing with yogurt. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »
I use Agave Nectar.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »
I use along with yogurt culture a messo culture (probat 222 or FD).  Gets thick without the need to go really low on the pH.
I use individual 250ml glass jars, pour the whey on top, cool in the fridge to cool. afterwhich you can sweeten, add fruit and what not...

jack

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:39 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to try a shorter incubation period and also a little FD. I haven't tried Agave Nectar before but am assuming its similar to honey.  :)