Flavoring Yogurt

Started by 17super, November 25, 2013, 01:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

17super

Looking for suggestions/methods for flavoring yogurt. I am using fresh from the farm, whole cows milk, heating to 180 - 185 f for 30 minutes, cool to 112 - 115 f, add culture, incubate for 7-8 hrs. I am using dairy connection ABY-2C and ABY-653, both come out great with good texture and body but very tangy. I like sweet yogurt. I have tried sweetened strawberries but by the time I add enough to take the tanginess away all you taste is the berries and no yogurt. I would be grateful for your suggestions. Thanks, Jack.

Tiarella

Hi Jack,  Have you considered using stevia, either plain or naturally flavored, to sweeten the yogurt?  Or maybe it's time to find a yogurt culture supplier that has different strains of cultures?  Or let it culture a shorter time?  If you want sweet it's probably going to involve lessening the tanginess rather than covering it up but I don't have enough experience to help you out.  I make kefir rather than yogurt because it's easier and I'm lazy/too busy for the fussing with yogurt. 

Sailor Con Queso

Tomer1

I use along with yogurt culture a messo culture (probat 222 or FD).  Gets thick without the need to go really low on the pH.
I use individual 250ml glass jars, pour the whey on top, cool in the fridge to cool. afterwhich you can sweeten, add fruit and what not...

jack

Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to try a shorter incubation period and also a little FD. I haven't tried Agave Nectar before but am assuming its similar to honey.  :)