Author Topic: Camembert issue - need some advice  (Read 2103 times)

jackbox

Camembert issue - need some advice
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
This is my first attempt at making Camembert. It has been nine days since it was put into the refrigerator for aging. I turned the cheese today and there is a spot that concerns me. I think it has a slight pink tint to it. Photos are attached to this post and the spot is circled in two of them. It seems more pink by eye than in the photos. Should I cut this out or leave as is? I think white mold is beginning to develop but I am not certain. The cheese has been kept an average of about 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees F). Any constructive advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Camembert issue - need some advice
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
I haven't made any Cams yet, but while we're waiting for those folks to chime in, I'll offer my meager opinion. ::)

At this point I wouldn't worry about that pink spot. The PC should overtake it. Your ripening temp of 5C/41F is pretty low. Currently I've got my Saint Paulins (with PLA wash) ripening at ~11C/52F. Actually, everything in my caves is ripened between 9C/48F-13C/55F.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

jackbox

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
I haven't made any Cams yet, but while we're waiting for those folks to chime in, I'll offer my meager opinion. ::)

At this point I wouldn't worry about that pink spot. The PC should overtake it. Your ripening temp of 5C/41F is pretty low. Currently I've got my Saint Paulins (with PLA wash) ripening at ~11C/52F. Actually, everything in my caves is ripened between 9C/48F-13C/55F.

-Boofer-

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a separate cheese fridge and I live in Bangkok, so my only option is to find the warmest spot in my refrigerator. The guy I bought the cultures from suggests that and it is within his temp range. I know it will take longer for the PC to appear and for it to ripen at the lower temp. Hopefully, the slower ripening will develop more flavor and I won't get a runny result. :-D

Dairymaid

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 12:49:43 AM »
Hi Jackbox, I am new to this forum so just catching up with old posts.  I make camembert regularly (tho my finished product has never looked as good as the photo of yours) and my white mould comes in on about day 4.  On day 3, there is always a tinge of pink before the white takes over.  Those two days as the white mould comes in, the cheese does not smell good either.  But as soon as the white mould has taken over the slightly 'mouldy' smell disappears and the cheese starts to look like it should.  You have inspired me to investigate further and see how I can achieve a more runny consistency around the edges.  Well done. 

Alison

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
Hi

I make lots of white mould cheese. Pink spots for me mean that I dug my nails (with a lazy sanitising regime) into the surface when I handled the cheese. I've always just cut out the pink spot and kept that cheese for home consumption rather than commercial sale. Now when I flip the cheeses I make sure I get the hand sanitiser (70% alcohol) under my nails and try not to scratch the mould surface. Hasn't happened for ~9 months now.

Regards
alison