Author Topic: Hi from New Zealand  (Read 991 times)

Dairymaid

Hi from New Zealand
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:35:40 AM »
Hi there.  I am a novice (2 years) cheesemaker in NZ (Waiheke Island), living in an eco-village where a group of us co-own 2 Jersey cows.  We are in our second year of milking them, (2nd lactation for one of the cows, the other about to be dried off to go to the bull at the next door farm), so we get between 5 and 10 litres of milk daily.  Each family’s turn to milk only comes round every 4 or 5 days so we are not overwhelmed with milk but we get a chance to make plenty of cheese.

After many attempts at a variety of cheeses (feta, stilton, cheddar, wensleydale, brie, gouda, edam, cambozola, halloumi, ricotta etc.) I feel I have got the techniques pretty much under my belt, but I am still mystified by the science/chemistry, so when something goes wrong, which it does quite often, and the cheese ends up feeding the chooks, I read back through my diary notes of how that cheese was made but I am in the dark as to what I might have done wrong at what stage. 

I really need more information and I am hoping some of you experienced cheese makers can either tell me what I need to know or point me to the place on this web site where I will find it.  This is a huge site for a newcomer to navigate and packed with information – very inspiring.

As everyone who gets involved in cheese making knows, the differences in details in the recipes is enormous, so much so that you wonder how such different recipes can produce cheeses of the same name.  I generally read through several variations and then choose one based on what seems sensible, do-able in the time-frame available and not too complicated.  But I would like to be making choices based on more knowledge of the chemical effects of each process. For example, I am making feta today, first time in several months, and the recipe I have chosen to follow does not press the cheese – you just put the wooden follower on the curds in the mould which gently flattens them and then turn the cheese every half hour x6.  My neighbour follows a recipe that uses a weight to press out the moisture.  Now I don’t know the reason why I might choose my recipe over the one she follows.  What difference does heavier or lighter pressure make, apart from the obvious – heavier pressure pushes out more moisture more quickly?  What effect will that have on the resulting cheese?

Looking forward to being part of this online community of enthusiasts.

P.S. everyone seems to have Young Cheese or Mature Cheese or whatever by their username.  And the number of cheeses they have made – how do I add this to my profile?

Geodyne

Re: Hi from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:11:44 AM »
Hi Dairymaid, and welcome! You're in a beautiful part of the world: perfect for dairying.

You've been making cheese for longer than I have, but I'm fortunate that I have a science background so I went straight to the science of what happens.

May I recommend the book Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking, by Giancliss Caldwell. It covers in great but accessible detail the science behind cheesemaking. With the experience that you have, I think you'd get a lot out of it.

As regards your question about heavier or lighter pressure, a lot dictates which you use with feta. First there's the relative dryness of the curds (dryer curds will need more pressure to knit), but also the desired moisture level of the final cheese. Some people use weight to press feta to remove the need to flip the cheese, which can be handy if you have other jobs to do and can't keep coming back to the cheese.

Dairymaid

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:38 PM »
Thanks Geo.  Appreciate your comments. 
Today the feta is looking fine - flat but well-knitted.  Now the recipe says to just turn it in the mould a couple of times today.  Tomorrow it will move to the brine.  What is the sense in this?  Why not put it in brine directly?  If it said leave to dry for a day before brining that would have some point, but what might the effect be of simply leaving it in the damp muslin in the wooden press for another 24 hours?  Any ideas? 
Thanks.  And I hope you are not suffering in Tassie today - a friend told me you had big rains there at the moment?
Cheers.

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
I was expecting a total drenching this morning but the worst seems to have missed the south of the state - the rain has gone away for now and it's broad sunshine outside! More to come later though, I believe. It's going to be a very wet weekend, perfect for staying indoors and making cheese.

By not brining immediately you're allowing the flavours of the cheese to develop. The reason you're told to turn it in the mould is to ensure an even drainage of the whey, and the time you're taking to do it allows for enzyme development. While you're draining the enzymes are working away on the cheese, developing acid, which affects the flavour and texture. Turning it will ensure that they whey drains evenly from the cheese, which means you have consistent acid production. Brining the cheese stops this acid production. Leaving the cheese to drain for a day also allows the cheese to dry a little further so it doesn't soften in the brine.

By the way, I didn't address your question about the number of cheeses in people's profile. A person's relative 'maturity' (so to speak) relates to the number of posts they have made. The cheeses are not the number of cheeses they have made, but an award other people give when they like something the person has done (usually a particularly nice cheese). This is done with the "thumbs up" button.

Dairymaid

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:01:07 AM »
That's such useful info Geo, thanks so much.  This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for from this forum - some real answers to my questions.  Brilliant. 
And haha about the new cheese/old cheese/number of cheeses etc.  I like that the moderator of this site has a good sense of humour.
Sun shining strongly today here too - garden rather parched - we could do with some rain.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:48:22 AM »
Leaving feta overnight in muslin will simply create more acid.  Feta requires quite a bit.  If you were to brine immediately you'd be arresting acid development.

If you press feta it won't be as crumbly.  Two reasons for this, 1 you are pressing out more moisture so it's more difficult to produce acid, which is needed for crumbliness.  2 you are physically creating a denser cheese.  The same holds true for some blue recipes.

Keep your whey and use it as your brine.  This is the traditional way.  You age it at a very low temp in the whey brine for 4-5 weeks.  remove, dry and enjoy.

Dairymaid

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »
Thanks Francois.  As I said to Geo, this is exactly the kind of useful info I was hoping for from this site.  Excellent feedback.  I feel I am starting to understand the processes better already.  Thanks for responding to my Qs.