Author Topic: Newbie cheesemaker in Adelaide  (Read 756 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Newbie cheesemaker in Adelaide
« on: November 29, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »
Hi, I've just started making cheese in the last four months and I'm really loving it.
My first effort - a chevre - was a flop but since then I've had success with fromage blanc, ricotta, ricotta salata, caerphilly and some particularly delicious camembert. At the moment I've got some very promising hispanico and double Gloucester aging as well as some more camembert. Then there's the blue. That's looking a bit iffy (as well as whiffy) but all will be revealed in a few weeks.
The biggest problem is, so many cheeses, so little time to make them all.
My last effort is Chaource, started about a week ago. Unfortunately, it's developed slip-skin on the sides. I'm trying to rescue it; I've rubbed of the loose skin, dry salted it and moved it to the fridge at about 4C. Hopefully that might work.
Even if it doesn't, it's a learning experience and it's good to be part of the cheese-making community.
- Andrew

Geodyne

Re: Newbie cheesemaker in Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:01:18 AM »
Welcome, Raw Prawn! I'm also a newby to making cheese, having been making it for about the same amount of time as you. It's definitely a fascinating hobby. I'm making parmesan and whey ricotta as I type this.

Pete S

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »
  Welcome to the Forum. If you are like me you will spend a lot of time here and learn very much.    Pete

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
Welcome, Raw Prawn!  I've been making cheese a few years now, yet I'm still new to this hobby. There's always something new to learn. Of all the books and resources on cheese making, this forum has helped me the most. I hope you'll find answers here too!