Author Topic: Feta brine concentration too high - can I correct  (Read 2094 times)

Zarniwoop

Feta brine concentration too high - can I correct
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
Hi All,

I made my first cheese yesterday, a feta, and it seems to have gone better than expected, only problem is that the recipe stated to use a 15% brine solution and a quick taste today and reading though some posts suggests this was too high. Would placing it in a lower concentration solution help or is it too late and is there any other way to correct it?

Cheers

Zarniwoop

hoeklijn

Re: Feta brine concentration too high - can I correct
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
Yes, you can add water to the brine to lower the saltiness, but the brine will be less protective against molds. You can also soak the feta in water or milk for a couple of hours before use.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:50:24 AM »
Adding water will work to dilute the brine, but please remember that it will also dilute the Calcium concentration. If too little of that, then the Feta will tend to start "melting" into a gooey substance!

If you go the dillution route, add some CaCl to the brine. Of course, it would be best if you still have some of the whey from the make to use to make new brine, but that's probably unrealistic.

For my taste, I am finding that a 7-8% brine solution works.

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
I'm not entirely sure , so maybe Linuxboy will see this post and answer.

I read where he stated that a weaaker brine speeds up absorption of salt , so putting it in a weaker brine now , may make the problem worse.

If that's the case , the water or milk as  hoeklijn stated , may be the best route.

Just my 2 cents worth , and it may not even be worth that ! ;D