Author Topic: Can you freeze cheese if you are going to use it to bake cheesecake?  (Read 1581 times)

monashguy

If you make homemade cheese like cream cheese and mascarpone cheese and you made extra, is it ok to freeze it, I know freezing it alters texture and mouth feel, but what if it is going to be used for cooking like cheesecake where it will be defrosted and whipped to even it back out and put in oven, does it affect the texture since it will be cooked? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Tomer1

Re: Can you freeze cheese if you are going to use it to bake cheesecake?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
It gets a bit grainy but it should work fine.

monashguy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I read somewhere that if the cheese is defrosted and mix properly or still properly for 10 minutes it is as good as fresh, but not sure if that person or anyone can say it with authority that it can be done if the cheese has been whisked or rather mix properly after it has been broght back to room temperature.

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
Yes, no problem. I've done it, and just think of those frozen cheesecakes you can buy.  The cheese will be fine after freezing so long as you're whisking it, but the texture will be different if you're planning to eat it without cooking.

As a side note, freezing is also how bases in the Antarctic make their cheese last all year.