Author Topic: Cutting a 4# Farmhouse Cheddar ?  (Read 1156 times)

Just Plain Fred

Cutting a 4# Farmhouse Cheddar ?
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
Hello all,

Can't seem to find a logical answer to this question, hopefully someone can shed some light on this ...

If you cut a 4# pressed cheese into smaller pieces before waxing ...what possible difference could this make? ...Examples

Cut the 4# in half, dry, and then wax after a few days..see pictures
    Cut the 2# into wedges, dry, and then wax

I have done this, also making smaller size rounds, leaving them intact  ... doesn't seem that there is any difference after aging them for a few weeks ( 7 or 8 ) after waxing ...Any thoughts ? I have read that cutting... impacts the aging process somehow. Don't Know.  Thank's ...Regards Fred

John@PC

Re: Cutting a 4# Farmhouse Cheddar ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
Good question Fred.  Begs the (next) question as to how important it is to establish a rind before waxing?  Back when I waxed I never tried coating wedges but the first thing that came to mind was would the wax adhere good to the paste?  I've gone over to the "dark side" (i.e. vacuum bagging) but still a good question.

Just Plain Fred

Re: Cutting a 4# Farmhouse Cheddar ?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:27:50 PM »
John,
 Hello... Thanks for responding... I let about a week go by before waxing,you can see the development of the rind in the pics of the wedges. To keep pests out i air dry under cheesecloth, then wax, after washing with a mix of salt and a vinegar wash. I am also going to try vacuum sealing don't know much about it, other than ordering one to try. Regards Fred