Author Topic: top indian dishes list  (Read 9092 times)

jaxter123

top indian dishes list
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:44:11 AM »
top indian dishes list are:
1. Biryani ( veg & non Veg)
2. Butter Chicken
3. Vindaloo & Rogan Josh
4. Tandoori Chicken
5. Idli-Dosa-Vada with Sambar
6. Palak paneer
7. Chole-Bhature
8. Dal makhani
9. Malai Kofta
10.Naan-Parathas
please tell me somthing about this dishes.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:42:56 AM by Webmaster »

bbracken677

Re: top indian dishes list
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
I have never really eaten Indian food....given that I like mexican, chinese, thai, french, italian, german etc (not much I don't like....I will pass on the snails, thank you...tasted like dirt in wine sauce) what would be suggested dishes to try?

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »
I'd put Naan Much higher on the list. Especially when slathered with Ghee  ;)  Parathas are similar, whole wheat breads. 

As a Chilihead, I'd put Vindaloo and Rogan Josh at the top of my list, but Biryani is a close second.  (I also love Biryani's cousins, Jambalaya and Paella in all of their variations)  Yes, when I make Biryani it has hot peppers included.

A quick web search will turn up recipes for the dishes listed.  The various masalas are subject to interpretation.  Garam masala means different things in different regions.  So, if you don't like one spice blend, try another recipe.  Cook Indian food often enough, you will learn what you like and how to tie dishes together without making them all taste the same. (like so many "Indian" restaurants do.) 

I think I will cook Indian tonight. 

BBracken, you should try snails again.  Sounds lie what you had wasn't properly prepared.  I try to have something at 2-3 different places before I decide I don't care for it.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
Perhaps I will...but by dirt taste I really meant earthy...but when you connect earthy and snails the mind instantly goes for dirt   LOL

I will give some of your suggestions a try this coming week. Tonight I am fixing pesto alfredo pasta!

mjr522

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:24:11 PM »
We had chicken tikka masala last night.  It was good--we've modified the recipe to suite our tastes.  It's our only Indian favorite.  We like a lot of other Indian foods, but generally try new things too often to develop a lot of favorites.  I'll put in a plug here for using fresh ground spices as opposed to spice you purchase already ground.  It's definitely worth the extra effort.

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »
... I'll put in a plug here for using fresh ground spices as opposed to spice you purchase already ground.  It's definitely worth the extra effort.

I will second that sentiment, applies goes for many styles of cooking. 

mjr522

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:06:39 AM »
Bob, I tried (am trying?) to grow anaheims so we can can out own roasted green chilies (I know they aren't spices...but the same idea of "more fresh" applies in my mind).  This was our first garden in Colorado Springs, and it's so stinking dry here that I think I'd need a soaker hose running constantly to grow things well.  I've got like 3 chilies from the 16 plants I planted.  Oh well...I'll do a little more research on gardening in a desert before I try again next year.

BobE102330

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »
Start them early if growing from seed.  If buying plants, get healthy ones from a reliable supplier.  I got a fair number of serranos from a big box store plant, but the ones I grew from Redwood City Seeds got more than 5 times bigger with a lot more peppers.  A bit different in the pepper world, but I used year old seeds that had been stored in my refrigerator and got great plants.  http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/

The rows are 4 feet apart...

Grow with plenty of light indoors - 16 hours a day until they get outdoors as soon as nights stay above 50.  Fluorescent plant lights work OK, Halogen bulbs even better.  The plants growing under 400W halogens were twice the size of those under a bank of florescents. 

Don't let them get root bound. I repot 3 times before the plants go outside.  If they stop growing, they are root bound.

Fertilize regularly (peppers love fish fertilizer - think Bassomatic, but it stinks.)  I used Miracle Grow every week or two with good results. 

Peppers don't like peat for some reason.  I start in Miracle Grow organic potting soil, works well.  Anything with peat will stunt the growth and produce a weak plant. 

Be sure to harden off your plants - last year I threw them outside and lost a lot of the plants to sunburn, and weakened others.  Like tomatoes, they do better if you gradually introduce them to outside, increasing their sun and temperature swing exposure over a week.

Peppers need calcium even more than tomatoes.  Give them bone meal at least every other week or whenever your fertilize.  I went through 12 pounds of it on 100 plants or so.  I didn't do as religiously last year and lost a huge part of my crop to blossom end rot.

Peppers do well with alternating dry and wet spells.  In pots, wait until the surface soil is dry to 1/8" or so.  We were dry enough up here that I watered every day - by afternoon the plants were starting to wilt.  They got 45 minutes a day.  A longer dry period might result in hotter peppers, but I had a hard time seeing the plants look so weak the second day without water. 

They don't want their roots wet, so well drained soil is good, but give them a layer of non peat organic matter to grow in that will hold some moisture. 

Hope that helps you next year, Mike. 

Gratuitous bragging how big my peppers are shots. My chubby hand is almost 5" across my fingers.
Duce D'Esagne, a sweet pepper that is red when ripe.

Jalapeno

Anaheim or New Mexico (seedlings got mixed up)

mjr522

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »
That's fantastic!  Thanks for the instructions.  I'm sure I'll be more successful next year. :D

smilingcalico

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:46:06 AM »
I LOVE INDIAN FOOD! I often tell people I eat it so often, I just call it food.  Actually, what I've been doing for the past few months is to make a crock pot full of curry and eat through it in a week (both lunch and dinner).  You wouldn't believe how cheaply you can make curries.  My grocery bill is now about $100 a month, and that's mostly for the different food for my daughter, sundries, and my chocolate habit!

bbracken677

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 07:07:18 AM »
Bone meal is great!  It is like timed release fertilizer. In the NPK (for example: 8-8-8) fertilizer bone meal is strong on the P (phosporus) which is great for any flowering plant.

When I lived in the country, I had a compost pile that once a year fed the garden...the only fertilizer I used besides the compost was bone meal and ashes from the fireplace (saved them every time I emptied it out...adds up over a winter) along with the occasional blood meal. Totally organic garden....might not see huge results the first year, but by the 3rd year you will reap tremendous rewards.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 06:45:52 AM »
Why has no one mentioned Chana masala (aka 'chole')? One of my all time favorite dishes!!!

SpargePervert

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »
oh yes,  definately Chana Masala,  Masala Dosa too,  yummmy!!  I absolutely love Indian food.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
I like making palak paneer and chana masala with some saffron basmati rice as a 3 part meal. Of course, you can't skip the lassi!

h4ppy-chris

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:14 AM »
If you are in to making Indian food you may want to have a look at my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/h4ppyleader I am very much it to making curries.