Author Topic: Hello from Michigan!  (Read 927 times)

JennyJad

Hello from Michigan!
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
Hey there!  I'm a small farmer in central Michigan.  I joined a while ago, but have been lurking, reading reading reading.   I'm actually quite good at feta, having raised goats for 15 years, but sold them off this fall and now have two Jerseys for the last 4-5 years.

With an influx of raw milk due to not selling it anymore, I've recently jumped into making hard cheeses big time. Biggest problem is waiting until cheeses mature before sampling, ha!  To solve that, I have to make fast-maturing cheeses between the longer-aged ones, so there's less temptation to sample the ones that need long aging.  Seems to be working. lol

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading old topics and learning as much as I can so as not to pester you all with repetitive questions. :)

Thanks for the forum!

GlennK

Re: Hello from Michigan!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:06 AM »
Hello fellow Michigander!  That's always the hard part of cheese making  - waiting to eat it. I've got 11 months to go on my Parmesan.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
Hello and welcome , I must say , I envy a person that has their own source of fresh milk , just how much milk do you get from 2 Jersey cows , it must be hard to use it all sometimes or do you sell some as well.?

Milk by hand or machine?

With you on the waiting part , I make blues in between hard cheeses so I have something to eat while waiting.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:10:28 AM »
My Grandmother lives in the Middle of the Mitten.  ^-^

JennyJad

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes!  I get about six gallons a day from the two cows, handmilked twice a day since weaning two weeks ago. They're not high producers, being first and second timers, especially since the first freshener is actually a Jersey-Dexter cross producing about two gallons a day. Hopefully, she'll do better next year.

For 15 years, I sold fresh milk from both goats and cows, but tired of it and sold the goats last fall. So now I mostly chill the milk 24 hours to hand-skim heavy cream for butter and coffee, then feed the mostly skimmed milk to two piggies, except when I make cheese once or twice a week.  Since selling the goats, I occasionally trade fresh Jersey milk for goat milk to my neighbor so I can continue to make feta and soap without the aggravation of goats and she gets butter and cream... win-win! lol

When the piggies visit freezer camp in January, I'll drop to once a day milking and cheesemaking will step up in frequency, so I need to learn as much as possible about hard cheese to avoid the usual newbie mistakes. For example, I've discovered that generally speaking it isn't a good idea to leave all the cream in Jersey milk when making cheese. lol  Right now, if a cheese doesn't work out right, there's no waste... the piggies get it, another win-win.  ;)

I very much want to master brie/camemberts, my favorite cheese, especially as it's so expensive to buy.  I could eat a pound a week. LOL