Author Topic: 3rd Stilton  (Read 4213 times)

KTownCheese

3rd Stilton
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:16:25 AM »
Seeing everyone getting busy with blues made me want to join the party myself.
Not only that, I just recently bought a mini fridge and slick temp and humidity controller.

So the other day I threw together a stilton batch with some 2% and 35% cream after work.
I used Meso II and PR for the cultures.  The recipe I used is from Artisan Cheese making at Home.
The last pic below shows it at 2 days into drying.

Heres hoping It will start looking like some of the other successes posted recently.

Cheers
A

Geodyne

Re: 3rd Stilton
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:39:47 AM »
It's looking lovely so far...!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
Have you smoothed out the rind yet? looks like you could, looks good though :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
Could you share details about this slick temp and humidity controller you bought?

KTownCheese

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »
Got it from Auberins.com.  Its their plug and play unit.  Basically the unit plugs into the wall, your fridge and humidifier or de humidifier plug into the unit and everything has digital controls.  Costs 130$ but is worth IMHO since I will be using it for cheese and curing meats.  Im using it for my stilton right now and it is bang on.  So far it looks like it will give me my best make yet.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=377

Geodyne

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
Thanks for that. I suspect my humidity meters are out of whack (and do plan to check their calibration this weekend), but I've not been able to get the humidity in my cave much above 65% yet. This looks like a great idea.

KTownCheese

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
just be careful they have a lesser model which is not designed for high humidity and has condensation problems when opening to air.

KTownCheese

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »
Just an update, were a couple weeks in and the stilton is looking (and tasting) fantastic.
Pierced it today and put back in the cave.

just a question to all the cheese heads out there, how long have you typically aged any stilton you may have made?

KTownCheese

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 03:27:43 AM »
Only a couple weeks in and looking really green. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:37:01 AM »
Very interesting look.  Sounds like it is coming along nicely.  Just noticed you're from Kingston, Ont!  I did my undergraduate studies at Queens (Grad of 89).  I always liked Kingston. 

- Jeff

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
I found mine had developed enough to be edible at just 30 days.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10476.15.html
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

KTownCheese

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »
thanks for the input guys.  The way its looking, this cheese wont last much more than 30 to 40 days.

Jeff, good to see another Kingston connection on here.  Kingston is a great town but it must pale in comparison to New Zealand.

KTownCheese

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:43 PM »
Finally I couldn't wait any longer... After a month of waiting I finally cut into my Stilton.  Looked great on the outside but not quite as much marbling on the inside.  I think this is due to too much pressure when I put it into the mold.  Next time I will have to resist the urge to press and let the cheese knit on its own.  Over all it worked out though and the cheese tastes great.  What a difference temperature and humidity control makes!!!!

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
Glad it turned out delicious!

The recipe I have says controlling humidity is crucial for this type cheese. Part of the process is four days of draining in the mold on a rack, yet no mention of ambient temperature or humidity.  ???

KTownCheese

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »
through my experience you want to maintain a 50 to 55 degree F temperature level.  any warmer and you run the risk of growing PC or developing slip skin.  At the 50 - 55 degrtee mark the rind held tight and PC was no where to be found.
As for humidity, the higher the better for this cheese.