Author Topic: First Reblochon -Style Cheese !  (Read 5630 times)

jwalker

First Reblochon -Style Cheese !
« on: December 11, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »
 :)Well , figured with two Stiltons aging and quite a few hard cheeses as well right now , I would attempt something different.

Voila , my first Reblochon style cheese , from Caldwells book.

Pretty much went without a hitch by the book , a 4 gallon make , albeit pasteurized milk is all I can get.

I wonder if I should have made two smaller ones , will a 4 gallon age okay?

It is four days today , the book says I should feel some shmeir on it by now , but it doesn't seem to have any , I have started washing with whey with some Geo and Linens added , hopefully something will happen soon.

How long does one usually age a reblochon , I've read anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:05:08 PM by jwalker »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: First Reblochon !
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »
Umm, did you perchance have an opportunity to check out Yoav's treatise? Lots of good info and opinions in there.

Reblochon AOC Cheesemaking Recipe

In that wonderful thread you'll see the ideal form factor among other things. A typical Reblochon might be 450g. Off hand, I'd say you had tipped the scales with your effort. :o

IMHO, I'd also be inclined not to characterize it as a Reblochon. It could possibly be a wonderful cheese...just not a Reblochon. :(

From Wikipedia:
"Reblochon is a soft washed-rind and smear-ripened cheese traditionally made from raw cow's milk. This cheese measures 14 cm across and 3–4 cm thick, has a soft centre with a washed rind and weighs an average of 450g. As proof of its being well-aged in an airy cellar, the rind of this cheese is covered with a fine white mould. The optimal period to savour this cheese is after it has been aged six to eight weeks."

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:21:11 AM »
Ummm , I think I will stick with "Reblochon -style" as that is the style in which it was made. ;D

Shmier is progressing nicely today.. ;D
Put in cave. ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
Ummm , I think I will stick with "Reblochon -style" as that is the style in which it was made. ;D
Hey, what's in a name?  :-\

A Reblochon by any other name is a...duck.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »
Hey, what's in a name?  :-\

A Reblochon by any other name is a...duck.  ::)

-Boofer-

Uhh , no , a Reblochon by another name is  Rebruchon or Reblò alpino. ;)

You can't milk a duck , let alone twice . ;D
Well , maybe this one , if it wasn't rubber. ;D

jwalker

Re: First Reblochon -Style Cheese !
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
Well , allthough I really went overboard on the size of this cheese originally , for a Reblochon anyway , it has shrunk to almost an acceptable thickness and is coming along well.

This cheese developed a beautiful rind right from day 1 , I washed for the first few days and developed a nice shmier , I never got any unwanted molds at all , it was kept in a separate chamber in my cave.

The cheese looks very similar to the one in the book from which the recipe was taken , it has a nice earthy mushroomy smell and is getting very soft under the rind , I have been keeping it in the cave a and monitoring it very closely to make sure it didn't ammoniate , at the first signs of ammonia I move it to the cold fridge and will probably give it a try this weekend.

It's a little wrinkly on the sides from the shrinkage , but no slipskin at all.

Will report back with a taste test soon.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:07:35 PM »

So, at the first whiff of ammonia, you put it in the cold fridge for how long?

That is a very nice looking rind, AC4U!

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »

So, at the first whiff of ammonia, you put it in the cold fridge for how long?

It will be a week this weekend , I don't think it will completely soften all the way thru , as I made it a little too big to begin with , but if I like it , I will try again , but a smaller make.

I was surprised by how well the rind turned out tho , I have had problems with unwanted molds in the past.

Thanks for the cheese. ;D

jwalker

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 05:55:07 PM »
I couldn't wait any longer , just had to open my "overweight" Reblochon. ;D

It's a little bigger than it should be so it hasn't fully ripened into the center , I now understand the importance of having a thinner cheese for certain types.

Around the edges where it has fully ripened (about a half inch or so) , it is smooth and creamy but not runny , very flavorful , and the rind is not only edible , but one of the best I have tried to date , even the wife gives it a thumbs up.

Had this been 3/4" instead of 11/2" thick , I believe it would have been a perfect cheese.
But it is a successful endeavor none the less , very good and melts easily , I sense a Tartiflette coming. ;)

I am going down to Idaho next week for some good milk , I will be making another one of these with the proper proportions when I get back.
This may just be one of my new favorites.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
Lordy, that looks tasty! I would try it if I had Caldwell's recipe.  8)

And a four gallon batch would make two?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
I wonder if you might be willing to check out the Reblochon Manifesto by iratherfly for your next effort? Lots of good info in there.

Four . . . 4  . . .  Four 450-gram wheels.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

jwalker

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »
Lordy, that looks tasty! I would try it if I had Caldwell's recipe.  8)

Technically it would make four , I only have the one decent mold though , and judging by the way this one came out , I would think 1 gallon in this mold would be way to thin , I will try a two gallon make next time , if I can find some smaller molds , I will make two , if not , two gallons in this mold will make a fine cheese I'm sure.

I read the thread on Reblochon last week , and it is full of great information , but other than size and maybe using raw milk (which I cant get right now) , this one tasted so good , I don't think I will deviate from this recipe , not yet anyway.

I can post or pm you the recipe if you like digital.

jwalker

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »
OK , an update on the results.

Being as I made it a little too thick , it didn't fully ripen into the center , alltho the taste was right on , and it melts very well.

In fact , we decided to make a Classic Tartiflette , using our own home grown potatoes , onions , and home made white wine , and with bacon that was brined and smoked by me with applewood.

I can't describe how good this is , and the aroma is incredible , definitely making this cheese , and this recipe again , in the right proportions next time.

Delicious !!!!!! 

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:07 AM »
Wait...you didn't cream your own butter too! >:( LOL

That sounds impossibly delicious! Kudos!