Author Topic: Looking for an easy recipe  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Looking for an easy recipe
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
Hi everyone

After doing some semi hard cheeses very well (finally my Garrotxa's are ok), and lots and lots of "Recuit de Drap", I'm thinking in make some soft lactic cheeses, maybe Crottin, Chèvre, St. Marcellin, Valençay or something like this. I have a very good goat's raw milk, so can anyone share with me an easy recipe? easy recipes, comments and suggestions to start making this kind of cheeses are welcome.
Thank you very much and Merry Christmas to everybody!!!

Sorry if my english is not correct.

Albert

Spellogue

Re: Looking for an easy recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »
There are so many wonderful soft goat cheeses, but you can't get much simpler than chèvre.  And, in my mind, it is one of the purest showcases of fine raw goats milk.  I've never actually made it with pasteurized milk although I'm sure that would be great too.

Since you have good raw goat milk you could go old-school and use just the natural flora as culture.  I've made chèvre with the following recipe numerous times with great results.

fresh country chèvre
  1 quart coagulated day old goat milk. Ambient temp.
  1 quart fresh goat milk. straight from goat temp.
  Starter none
  1/32 tsp calf rennet 2 hrs
  Drain through cheesecloth
Form into two logs.  One sprinkled in salt
One with salted ash
  Affinage: Eat fresh or age up to 3 weeks.

Of course using fresh raw milk and MM100 or Flora Danica with the pinch of rennet and culturing 12-24 hours makes for a fantastic chèvre too.  I tend to drain at 12 hrs.  Culturing longer than 18 hrs usually turns out too tart and crumbly for my taste.

It's so versatile too.  You can coat with herbs or spices, you can blend in fruits or nuts.  Always a crowd pleaser in any form.  We make loads of it.

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Re: Looking for an easy recipe
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »
Thanks Spellogue for your help.

I will try

BR