Author Topic: Feta Cheese - Salt drying vs. 23% brine solution soaking  (Read 3831 times)

Old Salt

Feta Cheese - Salt drying vs. 23% brine solution soaking
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
Hi.

I've recently been experimenting with dry salting vs. 23% heavy brine soaking and have found that dry salting for small cheeses produces a far better results.

My average feta cheese size is about 250g, when I used to soak the cheese in the 23% brine I would loose the dry and crumbly texture associated with feta cheese.

Salt drying for three days at a temperature of 22 degrees Celsius and then placing in a 8% brine solution so far seems to be the best method.

Has anyone had and negative issues with the 23% brine solution and its effect on small cheese sizes?

Thanks.

Jeepyj

Re: Feta Cheese - Salt drying vs. 23% brine solution soaking
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »
I only made feta one time. I still have some. It it moister than what I find at the store, but I just figured I screwed it up because I'm a newb. I'll try it your way next time for sure.  :D I have no idea how big it is in grams, small though :o

Kern

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:01:12 AM »
The saturated brine should contain a bit of calcium chloride and a dash of vinegar.  Without these the cheese may not brine properly.  Some small cheeses are brined in a saturated salt solution but the time is really short since the cheese is small.  If dry salting works for you and produces the cheese you like go with it.

wattlebloke

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »
Old Salt, Just wondering if when you refer to small fetas, these have been left whole, or slabbed or cubed? I cube mine (1" cubes) and store in a moderate brine (50% dilution of saturated) after an initial overnight brine at saturated strength. They last for ages. I've also recently tried taking some out of the dilute brine, rubbing with salt and storing (dry) in a sealed container in the fridge. So far they've lasted more than a month. They certainly stay crumbly that way, and I just rinse before using. Like Kern said, whatever works for you!

Kern

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:23:12 PM »
A couple of days ago I pulled some ten month old Feta cubes (2x2") out of some 8% brine.  They were aged in my 55F cave.  The 8% brine contained 2 tablespoons of Calcium Chloride per gallon along with a tablespoon of vinegar.  There was no skin softening.  I let them dry open to the air overnight and then put them in the 4C fridge.  The taste was excellent with the tang of salt just at the right spot.  We'll consume them within a week as I suspect with the high salt content the blue mold will be after them if kept longer.  After drying some the cubes could be cut and easily crumbled.  I am not a huge Feta fan having only eaten the store-bought junk.  I do, however, really like my homemade Feta.   :D