Author Topic: Hello from SE Michigan and NW Indiana  (Read 751 times)

chzplz

Hello from SE Michigan and NW Indiana
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
Hi!
My names Becca, I'm from North West Indiana near Chicago, but I'm currently going to culinary school near Detroit.
I've been reading about cheese and creeping on forums for years now. I have successfully made many fresh cheeses. I've been a little nervous about messing around with hard cheeses, but in my food chem class we talked a lot about cheese and made some feta, mascarpone, ricotta (the last two I'd already made many times at home). I talked more with my teacher personally about cheese making, and he said it sounded like I had a good understanding, and I shouldn't be afraid of the leap especially with the abundant support and information available on the internet (like this! :P ). So I joined to share my plan for making my cheeses, to get advice, try to trouble shoot problems, and share my triumphs and failures. I already have experience with bread and some charcuterie from a shop I used to work at, so if I can master cheese, well, I'll be eating good for pretty much the rest of my life.  ::)

Digitalsmgital

Re: Hello from SE Michigan and NW Indiana
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Welcome, Becca!

Yes, cheese making is proving to be a fun and rewarding hobby/life experience! You are going to love it!

chzplz

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »
Thank you! I am very excited. 

GlennK

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »
Welcome Becca!
After years of making the fresh cheeses I've lately been getting into the hard cheeses (I have a Colby and a parmesan in my freezer).  I have found that the hard cheeses are different commitment as far as time and materials go.  It's been interesting though, and I enjoy the challenge.  This site has been invaluable for helping me.