Author Topic: Roasted Peppers in pepper jack?  (Read 1667 times)

chzplz

Roasted Peppers in pepper jack?
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »
Hoping this is the right thread  :-X I'm new, introduced myself already. I haven't made any hard cheeses yet, but I'm trying to trouble shoot some problems I've seen others have and checking if ideas I have will even work. Most of the pepper jacks I've seen used either boiled fresh peppers or dehydrated peppers. I was hoping to make it with fresh roasted peppers. Is there anyone who has done this, or is there a reason nobody does? Also, it seems more so than any other cheese I've been looking up, people making pj have problems with pressing times/weights and the end cheese being very acidic and crumbly/dry. I've read answers saying it could be due to pressing, over acidification, even about using veg rennet vs animal. It usually ends with op just saying it's probably one of those but not sure which. Is there anyone who has a tried and true recipe (as I've found a few but they all vary quite a bit and I'm not sure which to follow), and can speak from experience on what to pay close attention to to get the best results? I was hoping for mine to be shreddable, but be very creamy and melty. Thanks in advance!

Spoons

Re: Roasted Peppers in pepper jack?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »
I wish I could help. I've got my first pepper jack aging for another 2-3 months. I think the "dry" jack you're referring to is from the 200 Recipes book where the author's version is not a washed curd cheese. The recipe I followed is a washed curd similar to a colby. So it should end up smooth and moist like a colby.

Pete S

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
  My only advice is to nuke the roster peppers before you add them.It sterilize them without affecting the flavor and texture very much.   Pete

chzplz

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 01:30:29 AM »
  My only advice is to nuke the roster peppers before you add them.It sterilize them without affecting the flavor and texture very much.   Pete
Hmm, thanks, I wondered if it was a sanitation thing. I actually found a post from a user back in '09 that used roasted poblanos. She said she slightly dehydrated them. I have heard that excess moisture in peppers can cause extra acidity in the final cheese. Do you think, it'd be a good idea to dry them some in the oven, and then should I still microwave? 

chzplz

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:34:03 AM »
I wish I could help. I've got my first pepper jack aging for another 2-3 months. I think the "dry" jack you're referring to is from the 200 Recipes book where the author's version is not a washed curd cheese. The recipe I followed is a washed curd similar to a colby. So it should end up smooth and moist like a colby.
Yesss, most of the recipes I've seen others follow were from that book. They all end up looking like gorgeous blocks o' cheese, but I understand expecting one thing for months, to crack into that, ya know? From what I've read after reading your comment, it doesn't seem like there's much of a difference between the two (colby&jack) besides color.

Pete S

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:53:11 AM »
Hmm, thanks, I wondered if it was a sanitation thing. I actually found a post from a user back in '09 that used roasted poblanos. She said she slightly dehydrated them. I have heard that excess moisture in peppers can cause extra acidity in the final cheese. Do you think, it'd be a good idea to dry them some in the oven, and then should I still microwave? 
  I use dehydrated, and find that they are not sterile.you don't get them hot enough to sterilize them without cooking them to a mush.So whatever you do I would nuke them for a minute to make sure.  Pete