Author Topic: Cheddar : Is this normal?  (Read 3057 times)

Spoons

Cheddar : Is this normal?
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:06:07 AM »
I made my first cheddar yesterday and every went perfectly. This morning, I took it out of the press and it looked great. Well knit and smooth rind.

This evening I took it out of my air drying mini cave (plastic container with lid slightly open and RH ranging between 65 and 75%), and I noticed that the cheese looks marbled. It's as if I can see the milled curds drying in between each other at a faster rate than the body. The rind is smooth though.

I took a few pics but I can't get the lighting right to see the marbling effect.

Anyone know if this is normal for a cheddar (or a stacked and milled hard cheese)? I pressed at 7.55 psi for 11 hours with an ambiant temperature of 22C, btw.

Pete S

Re: Cheddar : Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »
  I have had some that showed marbling and some that did not.I think it is from cheddaring to long or to worm.
On mine the marbling disappeared when aged.  Pete

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »
Thanks Pete. That's some reassurance. I thought it was slowly falling apart or on the verge or cracking or something. lol.

Pete S

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:19 AM »
  You might want to watch the humidity. If it dries to fast it might have a tendency to crack.I waxed mine a little early for that reason.   Pete

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:12 AM »
It's showing a bit more now. Noticeable in the pic. The marbling looks dry, but its actually quite smooth. I'll probably cream wax tomorrow morning if the bottom is rather dry.

dthelmers

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
I've noticed the same thing on my Cheddars while they are drying, then it evens out.

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »
Thanks Dave for the reassurance. I was a bit worried I didn't press well enough but it looks like it's quite common for a cheddar to air dry this way.

cowboycheese

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »
Most of my hard cheeses start out this way - right out of the press/brine. After a few days of drying, the colors meld and the mottled goes away. I would think the lighter areas are just where more whey or moisture is between the curds and it eventually dries out.

Geodyne

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
Ditto what Dave and Cowboycheese said. All my hard pressed cheeses have done that, then it's evened out over a few days as the moisture content evened.

wharris

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
I have had the same thing on my cheddars.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »
I have had the same thing on my cheddars.
Hey, Wayne, how's that subterranean cheese factory coming along? :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

wharris

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »
Hey, Wayne, how's that subterranean cheese factory coming along? :)
Sadly, I seem to have paused a bit. 
Need to build a cheese press, and a better thermal controller for my vat.

Other hobbies have since taken my time, but are begging to ebb a bit.  I will again return to this soon...

(got my ham radio license this year...  kd8vmo)