Author Topic: Hi from Ottawa  (Read 1255 times)

Papaclaude

Hi from Ottawa
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
I am sending you some photos of my wife's new cheese room. My wife started making cheese a year ago, and has not even stopped to come up for a breath! Now, she has an aging room and a dedicated cheesemaking room (photos at a later date). To make the room, I removed all of the insulation from against the 2 cement walls, and applied ceramic directly to the concrete and floor. This helps keep the room cool. I also installed a room air conditioner with a Cool-bot for the summer. For the winter, I installed a bathroom ceiling fan which draws heated air from the basement and blows it into the cheese "cellar". It is thermostatically controlled. The only problem we have had to date is maintaining a steady humidity level, but we are working on it. The shelving is white pine, 1" thick, and the glass doors are just plain French doors. The lighting is set to shut off automatically after 10 minutes, so if we forget to turn it off, no harm done.  There is not a lot of cheese in it yet. She wants to keep her "pre-room" cheeses separate, so we still use the wine fridge for now.

Regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Ottawa, Canada

Geodyne

Re: Hi from Ottawa
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
I think I just turned a very distinct shade of green. Best introduction ever!

That's a truly awesome solution to a cheese room. I'm going to have to give you a cheese for that achievement. 

Your wife is going to have so much fun filling your (her!) room!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
I LIKE-IT!!!! that is soooo cool!!!
definitely cheese worthy, have another cheese :) ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
WOW! that is one nice cheese cellar! Well done PapaClaude! A cheese for you for your nice handy work. Let us know when you resolve the humidity levels. Should be a challenge. It gets rather dry here in Ottawa, especially if you have electric heating.

Papaclaude

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Seems we have the humidity problem under control. I used 3 humidifiers to raise it up to 100% and keep it there for a day or so. Now, she uses a large 3 gal. cool-mist humidifier set on Low and it keeps her humidity in the high 80's. What's nice about the 3 gal. size is that it lasts over 3 days between fillings.

Just as an FYI, I don't know if they are all the same, but I bought this unit because it has an electronic humidistat, so I thought we could set it at 80-85% and be done with it, but it only goes to 60%. We have to set it on manual, at Low and it does OK for our "closet" size.

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
Definitely one of the nicest set ups I've seen on this forum , especially in the introductions section.

Very nice , and definitely worth another cheese !

KatKooks

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:33:57 PM »
Oh I love it!  Great job on the cheese room!  Welcome!