Author Topic: Calcium Chloride E509 help needed please.  (Read 2860 times)

h4ppy-chris

Calcium Chloride E509 help needed please.
« on: December 18, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
I want to buy all the stuff i need to make cheese, what a mine field. :o
I can only get shop bought milk so need some Calcium Chloride, so i read?
Is this the right stuff?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400g-Anhydrous-Calcium-chloride-FOOD-GRADE-FISH-CHEESE-MAKING-/161054055692?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item257f91dd0c

If it is how do i use it ie; 1/4 tsp in qtr cup water to one gal of milk?

Spoons

Re: Calcium Chloride E509 help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »
I'm not familiar with CaCl2 in anhydrous form. Most recipes will tell you to ad X amount of 33% liquid CaCl2. If you use the anhydrous form, you might need to figure out how to adjust quantity.

Pete S

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
   You need to make a 30 percent solution.  30 percent dry Ca Cl2 by weight and 70 percent distilled water.
 standard dose is then 1/4 tsp per. gallon milk diluted in water .  Pete

h4ppy-chris

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »
Thanks guys for the help.

Just so i get this right don't want to poison anyone, it would be 30g dry Ca Cl2 added to 70g water?

Once mixed do you know how long it will keep for?

Denise

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
Oh my, I never even realised there were different kinds of calcium chloride! The stuff I bought off Amazon Japan looks a lot like the stuff on eBay and the recipe book I'm using just says to use 'calcium chloride mixed in water', so I've been dissolving the little white balls in boiled water, in the quantities the recipe calls for; 1 tsp calcium chloride = 1 tsp little white balls.

It seems to work OK, but then I don't know any different ???

h4ppy-chris

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
Oh my, I never even realised there were different kinds of calcium chloride! The stuff I bought off Amazon Japan looks a lot like the stuff on eBay and the recipe book I'm using just says to use 'calcium chloride mixed in water', so I've been dissolving the little white balls in boiled water, in the quantities the recipe calls for; 1 tsp calcium chloride = 1 tsp little white balls.

Denise, pleas can you weigh 1 tsp little white balls and the water you use, it may work out to 70/30.

Pete S

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
Thanks guys for the help.

Just so i get this right don't want to poison anyone, it would be 30g dry Ca Cl2 added to 70g water?

Once mixed do you know how long it will keep for?
  Right-- You want to make sure it is food grade Ca Cl
  I store mine next to my liquid rennet in the fridge. I will probably keep longer then the rennet.   Pete

Pete S

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »

Your little white balls sounds like snow melt Ca Cl that can contain contaminates. check that it is food grade
1 ts dry Ca Cl is not equal to 1 ts 30 percent solution. you are using more than the recipe calls for  Pete

Denise

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:43:11 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Pete S - so I should be using less? I did check before I bought that it was food-quality, no problems there. But yes, it does look very like the stuff they sell in 5 or 10 kilo bags for putting on the roads.

h4ppy-chris

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the help Pete S.

margaretsmall

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »
I bought some from one of the cheese suppliers here in Australia, so whoever you use to get cultures and rennet should be able to supply. You need very little and it lasts forever in the fridge. It does come in different dilutions and the published recipes rarely is ever say what the dilution they are using is, but I doubt that's all that critical.