Author Topic: My first cheese.. a worrying looking Stilton?  (Read 7741 times)

graysalchemy

Re: My first cheese.. a worrying looking Stilton?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
Blue brie is very fashionable amongst the southern Jessies, you know.  ;)

Don't worry my beer accompanying the cheese will have a head on it and I will be wearing a flat cap.  ;) ;)

Geodyne

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
Quite right! And don't forget to have a little moan. It's your birthright! ;)

rumtom

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »
Bit of an update. I've reduced the humidity slightly so hopefully the bluer cheese will stop melting. The lighter cheese now has a strong smell of ammonia.

Not sure what more I can do about this. I bring them out to air each day so hopefully the reduced humidity will help

Geodyne

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
Reducing the humidity a bit more and airing a bit longer each day ought to help with the ammoniation.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 03:39:56 AM »
Bit of an update. I've reduced the humidity slightly so hopefully the bluer cheese will stop melting. The lighter cheese now has a strong smell of ammonia.

Not sure what more I can do about this. I bring them out to air each day so hopefully the reduced humidity will help

Ammonia is heavier than air so some people put the cheeses on the lid with the box upside down over it and just ajar enough that the ammonia can slide out along the bottom rather than filling the mini-cave up like a bathtub.

rumtom

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, will give that a go.

I'm trying to move them as little as possible at the moment as they've become quite soft.
I think I might just have to eat them before they get any worse!

SpargePervert

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
I find that cracking the lid open a smidge really helps get the humidity down,  I also put a small pot of salt in the "cave".  This seems to help absorb some of the moisture in the air,  ie after a few days the salt will be damp but there will be no build up of moisture on the walls / lid of the cave. 

SpargePervert

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »
Ammonia is heavier than air so some people put the cheeses on the lid with the box upside down over it and just ajar enough that the ammonia can slide out along the bottom rather than filling the mini-cave up like a bathtub.

Ahah, great idea Tiarella.  Good advice.  :D

rumtom

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I've been airing the cheeses for a while each day and the ammonia seems to have reduced.

I've also lowered the temperature slightly and added pots of salt which have brought the humidity down a lot. Unfortunately the stiltons were already quite soft so have slumped a bit under their own weight but reducing the humidity seems to have halted it.

Hoping to cut into them next weekend. Fingers crossed for something decent!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
Just remember to take photos when you cut into them.  I'm suffering cheese withdrawal since my goats aren't milking these days.  I want to see photos and hear details about the taste.   :D

rumtom

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Well, I've finally cut open the less blue of the two stiltons. Photo attached as requested!

A few veins running through it, really tasty (although slightly too salty).
The second stilton needs a bit more time at a lower humidity but I'm really pleased with the first one.

Just need to look at ways of storing it now. Not that it will last long!

John@PC

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »
Congrats rumtom and a cheese for your Stilton.  My experience is that when you cut a blue it only gets better as long as you keep it at a high humidity or wrap it. 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »
Thanks for posting photos!  But the taste......?  How do you like it?  Are you psyched to have created your own Stilton?   ;D

rumtom

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I've wrapped it in parchment paper and am storing it in a container in the fridge, so hopefully it will keep well.

I'm really chuffed that it turned out so well after putting so much work into it. It looked like it was going wrong at one point.

The saltiness is particularly strong on some parts of the cheese, which is a bit annoying but the flavour is really good on other parts.

I'll be cutting open the next cheese next so expect more photos! Then I'll be starting work on my next cheese.

I really appreciated everyone's help and suggestions. It was great to find such a helpful place to get information, and to see everyone else's projects!

jwalker

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »
Don't worry about how long it will keep , just eat it ! :P :P :P

John said he cheesed you , but I don't see any cheeses , ( he must not have pushed the cheese button hard enough ;D) , so let me give you one now !

EAT that sucker , and enjoy , you deserve it , good cheese !!

Your "chuffed" :-\ ? , that must be and English thing , I like it !

CHEEZ ON !!