Author Topic: New Venezuelan lost in New York  (Read 2570 times)

Telita

New Venezuelan lost in New York
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »
Hi, Hola !!!

Such an interesting forum !. Thanks a million to the master mind who developed it.

Well I'm originally a Venezuelan who happens to be living in the US, I have been here for almost 6 years, the majority of them in Houston, and just a few weeks in New York.... I still feel myself lost in here, specially weather wise !.

I have wonderful memories of my childhood in Venezuela, my parents owned a farm where we raised cows and sheep, and of course where my chesse making skills were developed. Because it was a rural area, the cheeses were very basic, the natives of the area used real rennet (from one of the cow's stomachs) to curdle the milk, and the procedures were everything but technical, all based in traditions and common sense. They had basically three recipes one for "cuajada" something very similar to soft fresh cheese, another for "queso blanco" and finally one for "queso ahumado", which was the same queso blanco but smoked... that was awesome, have you ever tried to smoke a fresh cheese ?, give it a try !.
As I noticed you have a few Venezuelan recipes in the forum... great !. I really miss all Venezuelan food, but specially our chesses. I never tried the guayanes recipe, but that's the cheese that I'm craving the most, where did you get it from ?.
Thanks a lot for the opportunity of being part of this forum and if you are interested on information about Venezuelan food, traditions, tourism, o any other theme (except of course politics !!!), I'll be glad to help.
Best regards,
Telita.

Tea

Re: New Venezuelan lost in New York
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »
Hi Telita and welcome to the forum.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
Bienvenido a Bordo (Welcome Aboard) Telita!

Funnily enough I'm in Houston working with a few Venezuelans!

I don't know those three cheeses but I posted Guayanés Cheese & Queso de Mano recipes from a small booklet I have for a Venezuelan friend (who's actually in Calgary Canada, another story) who complained that he couldn't get Venezuelan Queso there.

Looking forward to your input and advice and hopefully some pictures tricks and traps as I've never mad a Venezuelan Queso!

Good luck in New York, 86 F/30 C and humid here today ;D.

PS: Your English is perfect but in case you want there is a drop down menu at top left where you can switch the forum's Shell's language (not people's posts) to Spanish from default English. For others reading this post, you can also switch it to German and French and I could add others languages if people request.

Wannie

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:14:05 AM »
Hola Telita,

I've missed work more than a few times myself over the years cause I wanted to do something else.  Sure didn't help the paycheck none though :'(.   

Hang in there amigo, the sun is gonna shine in New York soon.  At least warm up some anyways.  I've got spring fever already myself, wanting to plow up and plant something.  Even looking forward to mowing the lawn.

I have got my very first rennet cheese hanging and draining in the fridge now. I will post details on that shortly.  Cream cheese... for a home baked cheesecake, yum.

Btw, welcome to the forum...  Lots of great people here, and from all over the world too.

Telita

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Thanks guys and gal for your welcome....
Well, for Tea, I left you a message about you crafts, they are amazing... I wish I could have a quarter of your patience !.
For John, yes, it is indeed funny, I know Houston has the second largest community of Venezuelans in the US... because of the oil business and the weather, they are mostly settled in the Katy area. Next time you see your Venezuelan co-workers say "Que hubo panas, como esta la vaina"... that's the most Venezuelan you will ever sound. I will open another post about Venezuelan cheeses, hopefully with pictures, but I still have some research to do. I tried to switch the forum's shell's language and it looks pretty cool, but having English together gave a headache... I'm staying with English, but thanks, it is good to know.
And finally Ronnie, I totally agree with you in many things except for the "amigo" part... I'm a lady !. And yes, I also switch my original career (engineering) to do something that I really enjoyed (Pastry arts)... and I feel and do better now... even if it is not reflected in my paycheck. I will also would like to plant something, so for the first time in the last eight years I'll be able to plant something, I asked my mom to bring me some seeds from Venezuela and finally have some "ajies dulces" to cook with.
Well that was my update.
I will keep posting myself.
Thanks again,
Telita.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
What's Up Doc! OK Telita, I had to ask what that means, US equivalent is "What's up doc"!

Thanks for the new phase . . . John.

Wannie

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »
Sorry about the mistaken gender Telita.  Is my face red or what?  My mistake :-[... 

I am getting ready to sow my seed for my garden plants very soon, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc etc.  Spent the day yesterday getting my roto-tiller ready for spring planting.  I looooove my vegetable garden.  Btw, you can order a small packet of aji dulce seeds from the Caribbean Seed Co if you want.  I may try some myself.  I like just about any kind of pepper although I mostly prefer the hotter ones myself. 

You talking about the smoked cheese made me want some.  I have a small electric  smoker and will try to smoke some cheese sometime in the future.  I love smoked mozzarella, that will probably be my first one to smoke.  I will hafta do some reading on it first though.

Welcome again...
Ronnie

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
Ronnie & Telita, lots of posts about smoking cheese here on this forum, first I think was Reg's. Just do a search from the root menu.