Attempted to make the following lemon cheese recipe
. Using Sam's "Daily Chef" whole milk (Borden's plant 21-054). I used the same plant to make a successful 30 minute mozzarella.
Sterilized all equipment in Star San
Rinsed with tap water and towel dried
1. Used Fresh lemon (added as indicated in recipe at 185 F)
2. Heated Milk to 185 F (turned off heat)
3. Set curd 15 minutes
4. Strained 1.5 hours
1. Heating time 56 F - 185 F took 25 minutes (avg 5 degrees per min).
2. Curd formation was stringy fibers and no clean break after 15 minutes (temp drop during time 185 F - 170 F)
3. Strained the curds (170 F) and let them hang for 1.5 hours then added salt
4. The texture of the curds were dry, light and airy. They did however hold form when pressed between fingers, but no way spreadable
5. Taste was like that of mozzarella with hint of lemon at finish
6. I do have a pH meter that I will use next run.
I would like to make another attempt since I have the other half gallon left. Any suggestions to get the consistency more spreadable?
Feel free to point out my mistakes since I am learning.