Author Topic: My Christmas Juustoa  (Read 8671 times)

GlennK

My Christmas Juustoa
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »
As my heritage is Finnish, I learned to make this a few years ago.  It's an easy cheese to make.  Broiling it at the end gives it a "skin" that makes it extra delicious.  I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: My Christmas Juustoa
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
The recipe, yes please ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

GlennK

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
Juustoa (also called squeaky cheese or cake cheese)

2.5gal milk (If I can't get raw, I use whole with appropriate amount of calcium chloride)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons salt
1/2 cup sugar

1. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. 
2. Heat milk to 100-110F
3. During heating, mix in dry ingredients
4. Add rennet (I use 1/2 tab vegetable)
5. Ripen 30-45 minutes, or until clean break
6. Cut curd; 1/2 -1 inch cubes, let stand 30 minutes
7. Pour off whey gently, until it looks like amount left will fit in two 9" cake rounds (maybe they're 8"??) Sometimes an additional loaf pan. 
8. Broil until mottled brown, not black.  (This is a matter of personal taste)
9. Pour off whey if needed; If whey covering cheese or boiling over
10. Flip once by placing a dinner plate on top, flipping the pan over so cheese is on plate, then sliding cheese back into pan.
11. Broil other side until at desired color.
12. Allow to cool at room temp. Do not store in anything absorbent, as it will dry the cheese out too much.

The trick to this cheese is finding the right balance of moisture; Pour off too much = too dry.  Pour off too little = too moist.  Error on the side of too moist.

Often enjoyed dipped in coffee.  It should squeak when bit in to.  It's slightly sweet.

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:54:16 AM »
Glenn , that looks delicious , thanks for the recipe , I will be sure to try it.

One of my best friends in school was of Finnish descent , his family used to make Kilju , a fermented beverage , I learned to make it and still make it occasionally , was just wondering if you have ever made it.

Great stuff , very mild at first , but gets stronger as you leave it to ferment , it can get quite potent with age.

A cheese to you !

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:06 AM »
Oh wow! What a curious cheese. Will have to try this! You got me at 'often enjoyed dipped in coffee'. Thanks for sharing and a cheese for you for bringing a new cheese to this forum  :)

GlennK

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »
@walker - Kilju is a new one to me.  I've never heard of it. I'm going to have to ask around if anyone makes that one.

@Spoons - As far as I Know, it's the only cheese/coffee pairing. I'll be having it for breakfast.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:09:31 AM by GlennK »

flac

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:12:22 AM »
Looks like a firmer version of ostkaka, Swedish "Cheese Cake"; we eat it every Christmas. I might have to try this one.
Thanks!

GlennK

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Looks like a firmer version of ostkaka, Swedish "Cheese Cake"; we eat it every Christmas. I might have to try this one.
Thanks!
I looked at the recipe for ostkaka, looks delicious! 

mohamed

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »
Hello,

this is the first time I see this cheese
is it a cheese sweetens ?
its this eats hot or cold ?
it is good?
it is worth?

@+

gjfarm

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »
Maybe topped with  some homemade jam?

GlennK

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »
Maybe topped with  some homemade jam?

It's often served that way.  Delicious!

John@PC

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
Glenn, this is one of the most unique and easy recipes I've seen on the forum so a cheese for that and the wonderful pictures.  Now that I've become somewhat competent in making cheese I'm going back to make some I skipped over.  One was Paneer and we loved it so much (grilled with a bit of smoke) that I've done two in the last two weeks (great cheese to do with kids).  I think a lot of the fresh cheeses are overlooked because you can buy them cheaper at the store, but if you have good milk the store varity will never match the taste.  I will get a couple of gal. milk and do this to take to our daughter-in-law's father's Octoberfest celebration this weekend.  Will take a jar of South Carolina peach jam with us  :).   

GlennK

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 10:00:13 AM »
I will get a couple of gal. milk and do this to take to our daughter-in-law's father's Octoberfest celebration this weekend.  Will take a jar of South Carolina peach jam with us  :).

Come back and tell us how it went!  ;D

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 10:42:04 AM »
Nice cheese, Glenn - my wife is a serious Juustoa fan, and this looks delicious.  Cheese to you! 

BTW - Yooper?
- Paul

GlennK

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 10:18:21 AM »
BTW - Yooper?

Currently, but soon be an ex-yooper.  I'm moving to Eau Claire next week!  Hopefully I can find some other curd nerds to swap cheese.