Author Topic: How to make a crumbly blue  (Read 2564 times)

Beans

How to make a crumbly blue
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
How can I make my Stilton dryer and crumbly? something I usually try to avoid.  Smaller curds? press a little?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: How to make a crumbly blue
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »
Actually you wouldn't be making Stilton at that point.  Why don't you take a look at the other recipes for other blue cheeses, many of which are crumbly.  The blues that are crumbly are usually aged more to get the moisture out.  Gorgonzola is sold both ways and I believe Maytag is also, but not sure about that one.  At any rate, the secret to making it crumbly would seem to be to age it longer to get the whey out.  Pressing may also help to this end but I doubt you'll get blue veining if you press much as it forms in the gaps between the curds.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:44:35 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »
I have been trying to do the same , and I think I may have something.

Larger curds , but stir them more vigorously to expel more whey , my last one is a lot drier and crumblier than any of my others , they were more like cambozola or Blu Brie.

My make is http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12176.0.html if your interested , I added a few ounces of crumbled Blue cheese , but you could use PR or a slurry , this one came out very nice.

You don't need the Anatto either , it was just for looks , I'm eating this cheese right now and it's great , about 7 weeks old now , I still have half of it in my cave wrapped in cheese paper.

It seems to be working for me.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »

Larger curds , but stir them more vigorously to expel more whey , my last one is a lot drier and crumblier than any of my others , they were more like cambozola or Blu Brie.

My make is http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12176.0.html if your interested , I added a few ounces of crumbled Blue cheese , but you could use PR or a slurry , this one came out very nice.

You don't need the Anatto either , it was just for looks , I'm eating this cheese right now and it's great , about 7 weeks old now , I still have half of it in my cave wrapped in cheese paper.

Did you realize that by adding annatto to stilton you actually made Shropshire Blue?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »

Did you realize that by adding annatto to stilton you actually made Shropshire Blue?

No , I didn't know that , but I seemed to remember seeing a blue type cheese that was very yellow/orange , and it looked very good so I thought I would try it.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »
No , I didn't know that , but I seemed to remember seeing a blue type cheese that was very yellow/orange , and it looked very good so I thought I would try it.

A quote from your thread that you linked to;

Nice looking cheese.  :D

The anetto one might turn out like Shropshire Blue one of my favourite blue cheeses.  :D :D

graysalchemy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
Shropshire Blue one of my favourite blues. Unfortunately it isn't a historical english cheese having being 'invented' in the 1970's in Scotland. It was to be marketed as Blue stuart or Inverness Blue but the admen deemed Shropshire Blue better.

Still a very nice cheese. Wensleydale Blue is nice as well, and is also crumbly.  :)