Author Topic: intro and question  (Read 964 times)

squeaky cheese

intro and question
« on: January 07, 2014, 05:49:00 AM »
Newer home cheesemaker from Western Oregon. Going to make Gorgonzola. After I open the package of P. roqueforti PV, how should I store it? It cost $36! When I put back in the freezer should I wrap up the foil and simply close with a clothespin or put in a small tightly sealed jar (if I can find one) and store in the freezer? Searched, but couldn't find an answer and didn't want to wade through 14+ pages of topics. thanks Kim

John@PC

Re: intro and question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »
Hi Squeaky.  Assuming the DVI came in a foil pouch it's best to store it in the original pouch.  I usually clip a corner a little bigger than my "long handled" measuring spoon.  Afterwards I flatten the pouch to get all air out and fold the corner over and secure it with tape (the blue masking tape does a good job).  BTW, when I take cultures out of the freezer I let them come to room temperature before opening them to reduce the chance of water vapor condensing inside the pouch.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »
Quote from: John@PC link=topic=12334.msg95169#msg95169
BTW, when I take cultures out of the freezer I let them come to room temperature before opening them to reduce the chance of water vapor condensing inside the pouch.

Wow, that' same smart idea! I hope it's in time to save my cultures.  :(

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:27 AM »
Shaking the contents inside the pouch is also a good idea before measuring, in order to make sure the larger/smaller particles are evenly distributed...
Susan

miaroz

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 03:12:34 AM »
I've been putting my folded up foil pouches in a jelly size canning jar. If you don't have one try the hardware store or the thrift sotre. They are useful for all kinds of thing including storing food in the freezer. There is a line just under the threads ont eh jar indicating the "freezer fill" line.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 02:55:10 PM »
Shaking the contents inside the pouch is also a good idea before measuring, in order to make sure the larger/smaller particles are evenly distributed...

Thumbs up on the heads up about the shake up!