Author Topic: My 2nd Staffordshire Cheese  (Read 6103 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 2nd Staffordshire Cheese
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 06:46:48 AM »
Thanks Boofer. 

My wife thinks it has a mushroomy sort of smell, but to me it is very much of hazelnuts.  The I've done very little except brush it back whenever blue showed up early on.  The other molds I didn't worry about.  This seems to have succeeded in keeping the blue at bay and allowing other molds to take control.  Every now and then I give it a good brushing, but nothing more than that.  This was an 11 litre make, so I expect it to level out at around 1100g, so it's looking like a decent yield.  For a cheese that was a total dud the first taste, this could be a hidden treasure.  Only time will tell.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »
I've put this one in with my 2nd Tomme, hoping to get some transfer.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Hi,

We cut into this yesterday.  Decided to compare this one with the natural wild rind to the first make, which was vac. bagged.  You can see a piece of the first one in the lower right corner of the cut cheese photo.  Anyway, now that the bagged one has aired out for a while, it is a ver good cheese.  This one, with the rind, is also very good, and very different from the bagged version. 

First, the paste is much drier, as could hardly be a surprise.  It also has much more of a bite to it.  The rind has to be removed, but it has a great aroma and look to it.  As you can see, the mould is only on the surface, but it has added flavour.  I'm very pleased with both results, and haven't decided which I prefer. 

So, although this isn't a 3 week cheese as it had suggested in the make notes, it is one that is worth making and aging out at least 3 months.  I would suggest more (these are now just over 4 months).  I might bag half of this and take it out until 6 months.  Or, I might just eat it all.  Oh, why must life be full of difficult decisions? :)

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »
Choices choices choices...

Great looking cheese! 

A cheese for you for experimentation and success!   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
Nice....  :)

City vs. Country...Pristine vs. Gnarly.  ;)

Sweet comparison, Jeff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Rizzo

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
Hi Jeff

Looks great!