Author Topic: Tallpoppy's Camembert No1  (Read 2667 times)

Tallpoppy

Tallpoppy's Camembert No1
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
first Attempt at a Cam,

made on the 14/1/2014

Used instructions from the Guide to making your own cheese by Neil Willman.   Culture and PC in pre mixed packet.

• 4L of Non homogenised farm bottled Milk. (thought the milk was bottled the day before I checked over the whole shelve at the store.  then looked after the make and i managed to pick the bottles that were 3 days older.)
  • 1/4 tsp culture and PC premix.
  • heated milk to approx 30deg C added culture waited approx 40 minutes.
  • added 1/4 tablet of rennet (about what i've added for other 4l batches)
  • decided to try flocc method.  flocced in about 17 minutes(from memory).  x5 or 6 can't remember now. but cut curd after about 1hr 10 minutes.
  • Cut into approx 2cm cubes and let sit for 30 minutes.
  • gently stirred for a minute or two. then let sit for another 30 minutes
  • stirred again and let sit for 30 more minutes.
  • poured off most of the whey and ladled into moulds
  • drained and turned approx 4 times over about 8 hours. cheeses ended up being 300g each
  • instructions called for saturated brine for approx 45 minutes.
  • then into box and into car fridge. turning every 2 days

PC started forming after about 4-6 days and wrapped on the 28th Jan approx 14 days after making.

possible problems encountered.
  • as mentioned above milk was 4 days old not 1 day old like i thought.
  • car fridge was about 7.5 deg C for the first few days then i finally got my temp controller assembled. then it was at 10.5-11.5 deg C afterwards
  • RH in box was possibly a bit excessive. possibly could have tried to control it a tad better.
  • slip skin developed on the sides of the cheese with a very small amount on top and bottom.  seems to have not gotten worse since putting in the fridge
  • Does have a strong Mushroom Smell to the cheese when i wrapped it. I cut one in half today 2/2/14 mainly out of curiosity and the mushroom smell has diminished a bit also paste looks and feels a little dry, but not dry like a cheddar.
  • Really need to take better notes

things i was happy with.
flocc method went pretty good for the first time.
temp control during the initial make was good.
didn't manage to smash the curds when mixing.
ripening/PC growth seemed to go well apart from 1 patch that didn't want to grow as well as the rest but it got there a few days later.
they both look nice.

taste test to come.
Pics
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:33:17 AM by Tallpoppy »

Tallpoppy

Re: Tallpoppy's Camembert No1
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:54:53 AM »
OK so a bit of a delay in my tasting post.

i'm not very good at describing Tastes.

first one didn't taste too bad it wasn't terrible but it could have been better. it wasn't that flavoursome.

I cracked the 2nd cam open 2 days ago and it was much better.  slip skin was present on about 1/2 on the side only so i was pleased.   The Taste was a bit more of what i expected but still not that grate.  Mushroom smell wasn't overpowering like it was on the first one i opened up.  got a few friends to try it and they enjoyed it so it wasn't a total loss.

for the next lot will will try and fix some of the known mistakes and maybe try and document it a bit more.  so i can be consistant.

2nd cam. 

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »
You did a wonderful job documenting Tallpoppy with an excellent description and pictures that are certainly worth a cheese.  If I remember correctly I tossed out the first camby I did (along with several other fails) but with each failure (or so-so cheese) you get better.  If it make you feel better here is a pic of my last brie that was, well, just a bit "runny" (maybe a good nacho dip? ::))

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:39:20 AM »
Yah, I've had some brie's turn out better suited to a cup than a plate too! 

- Jeff

Tallpoppy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:46:35 AM »
don't get me wrong i'm pretty stoked i got it to turn out like it did.  I was expecting some rancid mess. 

oh and thanks for the cheese

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »
Hi Tallpoppy,

Your cam actually looks pretty good.  It does appear that it wasn't finished ripening though, as the middle paste still looks "chalky".  The mould ripens from the outside in, and the goal is to get things to ripen to the centre without turning into the swimming pool examples above! :)  Your mould coverage looks really nice, and the rind on yours doesn't look too thick, so I think you're well on your way.  Continue with your make protocol, and make very detailed notes about what you did.  Also, describe to yourself what the curds are doing, in a way that you will remember what was going on during the next make, so you can compare how things went.  I think you'll be onto some excellent results very soon by the looks of things.  Well done.

- Jeff