Author Topic: Uh oh...problems with my first Colby  (Read 1350 times)

GlennK

Uh oh...problems with my first Colby
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:06:27 PM »
Constance - my first Colby is 49 days old today.  I used Rikki  Carol's recipe, which seemed to go well.  She lives at 53 F and about 78% humidity. Today I found these two tiny mold spots which I removed and then rewaxed. The problem iz it doesn't taste like a Colby. It's dry, crumbly, and not sweet at all. It's a bit sour. My plan is to go the full 90 days and see how it goes. Any tboughts?

Digitalsmgital

Re: Uh oh...problems with my first Colby
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
How do you know the temp and RH at Rikki Caroll's house?  ;D

You named your cheeses? Constance Colby? I thought Juustoa was your wife? Is that Juustoa Jarlsberg?  :D

I could advise you about buying and calibrating an expensive pH meter to make sure you have acidified the curd sufficiently and expelled enough whey to begin pressing, but I don't have one and don't really plan on buying one soon. Do you already use one?

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »
Could you post the complete details of every step while you were making Constance? It could be many things. Also, maybe Rikki Carol should get a restraining order  :P

GlennK

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
How do you know the temp and RH at Rikki Caroll's house?  ;D

You named your cheeses? Constance Colby? I thought Juustoa was your wife? Is that Juustoa Jarlsberg?  :D

I could advise you about buying and calibrating an expensive pH meter to make sure you have acidified the curd sufficiently and expelled enough whey to begin pressing, but I don't have one and don't really plan on buying one soon. Do you already use one?

My cave is that, because that's what Penelope - my parmesan - requires!

Remember in 4H when the kids would raise a pig, name it, write poems and love songs to it all summer, then take it to the county fair, win first place, then have it slaughtered and eat it that night?  Same concept.  Except I'm a nearly 50 year old man.  Is that weird?  :o  I've never named a juustoa because they are consumed within a couple days.  Not enough time to really get attached to them.

Her recipe didn't have any pH targets, and I don't have a pH meter.

GlennK

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »
Could you post the complete details of every step while you were making Constance? It could be many things. Also, maybe Rikki Carol should get a restraining order  :P

;D  Here's a link to the recipe I used http://www.cheesemaking.com/Colby.html

The only issue I had with the make was that when I was cooking the curds I got the temp to goal in about 15 minutes, instead of 30.