Author Topic: Breakdown of proteins during aging.  (Read 843 times)

Zombiesheep

Breakdown of proteins during aging.
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:48:03 AM »
I'm a breastfeeding mother and cheese addict that can no longer consume milk proteins because my baby is allergic to them. The pediatrician mentioned that the good aged cheeses might be okay for me to eat since the proteins break down during the aging process.

Does anybody know long does a cheese needs to be aged to significantly break down the protein? Are there differences in time duration required for different types of cheese? And, if nobody knows, any suggestions on who to ask. This is pretty specific and I'm not sure I can live without cheese. :'(

Spoons

Re: Breakdown of proteins during aging.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:01:13 AM »
I don't know much about the subject other than the more a cheese is aged, the least lactose it has.

Beemster claims that their Classic gouda and X-O cheeses are lactose free. Don't know about other cheese producers, maybe you can send an email and ask them? Nothing better than getting an answer from the source.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:56 AM »
What about sheep and goat cheese? Same allergy? For cow cheese, I would start at 15 months. aged goudas, cheddars, and parmigiano reggiano come to mind.

Zombiesheep

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:44:55 AM »
Well it isn't the lactose, just proteins. And yeah, all non-human milk.