Author Topic: Hello from Dayton TX  (Read 733 times)

Dethstryk

Hello from Dayton TX
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Jesse and I am new to cheese making. I have not made anything yet but look forward to it. I have already found a lot of good information on the forum. I look forward to talking to everyone. I do have my first question and any help would be appreciated. I currently have an old freezer that I plan on turning into a cheese cave. I used to work as an air conditioning technician so I know what needs to be done to control the temp. The problem I am going to run into is the shelves are fixed and act as the evaporator coil so they will condensate and I can't think of a way to keep the moisture off the cheese.

John@PC

Re: Hello from Dayton TX
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »
Hi Jesse and welcome.  I had a similar problem with my first cave.  It was a dorm fridge but with the high moisture and dew point I had a big problem with condensate.  I finally got some foam polystyrene (3/4" thick) and fashioned a "roof" that drained the water to the back and away from the cheese.  You should use a closed-cell foam insulation (like the pink stuff at Lowes) because if you use something like sheet metal or thin plastic it will sweat too.

Good luck.  I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.