Author Topic: Cheese equipment website/business launched!  (Read 12050 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Cheese equipment website/business launched!
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »
A forum member (John - forum name "John@PC) has launched his site of equipment and supplies that solve some of the main challenges we cheese makers are faced with on a regular basis.  I've been lucky to be along for the ride and do some testing for John as have a few other forum members.  While the site will continue to expand with more information, tutorials, etc. it is already a site with some exciting pieces of equipment.  One of the products that I like a lot is the cave cube that offers a way to adjust humidity, or keep air moving in a cave.  If a cave is too humid it can be used with a desiccant pillow to bring the humidity down, if too dry the cave cube is set in a pan of water to put more humidity into the air.  There are also some temp controllers, cool curd cutters. transparent molds (as well as some ss molds) and a humidity controller module.  You all know I'm not techie enough to explain the details of what's there so go check it out for yourself.   :D
 I offered use of my cheese photos to John so you may recognize some of the photos there.

One of the cool aspects of this business is that John is actively seeking challenges to solve so if there's some aspect of cheese making that is difficult or frustrating to you I hope you'll contact him so he can look for a solution!

The site is www.perfect-cheese.com  take a look if you've got a little time for musing.

Spoons

Re: Cheese equipment website/business launched!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:15:25 AM »
Oh wow! That is clearly a cheese making web store thought out by home cheese makers! Most other web stores sell the commercial stuff that don't really work well for a home cheese maker. It's the only website dedicated to cheesemaking with a vat and temperature control setup that I know of.

Well done John!

If I knew about that website 3 months ago, I'd end up buying one or two of each items. lol. I lost all my previous cheesemaking equipment and only recently bought all I need. I am limited to 2-gallon batches though, once I feel ready to graduate to 5-gallon batches you'll most certainly get an order or two from me!

Good luck with your new webstore!

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:22 AM »
Thanks Eric.   We would have had the website up 3 months ago but then decided to add the humidity and temperature control systems.  And yes, I'm definitely a home cheese maker who has had his share of fails and was always looking for a better way of doing things.  Many thanks to Kathrine for the elegant "intro" and for sharing her beautiful cheese creations that we've posted on the site.  Thanks also to the forum members whose comments, ideas and suggestions have helped provide direction for seeking helpful solutions. 

terry@dairy fab

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:38:13 AM »
Hi John,

Just checked out your web store. Looks great! I like your curd cutters. I will be sure to send any home cheese makers that contact me to check out your site. Good to see a simple, affordable option. I like the handle.

Terry@dairy fab
www.curdknives.com

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
Thanks Terry.  When I checked out your website it made me recall the first Crocodile Dundee movie when he pulled the "big" knife - "Now THIS is a curd cutter!!"  ^-^

High Altitude

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »
Well shoot!  I can't open the website for some reason (just the cache, which doesn't help).  Will keep trying....

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
Hmmm, works for me.  Would it help to clear your browser history?  Hope you can get to the site!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »
Thanks Eric.   We would have had the website up 3 months ago but then decided to add the humidity and temperature control systems.  And yes, I'm definitely a home cheese maker who has had his share of fails and was always looking for a better way of doing things.  Many thanks to Kathrine for the elegant "intro" and for sharing her beautiful cheese creations that we've posted on the site.  Thanks also to the forum members whose comments, ideas and suggestions have helped provide direction for seeking helpful solutions.

Wow, this is fantastic - John, for the Pid-control challenged among us, does http://www.perfect-cheese.com/temperature-controller allow you to plug in an appliance, say, a turkey roaster being used as a water bath - and with the sheathed probe, control that bath at a set temp - without having to wire the roaster to deal with the PID? 

Congratulations on your site and business, looking forward to combing through it!
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
for the Pid-control challenged among us, does http://www.perfect-cheese.com/temperature-controller allow you to plug in an appliance, say, a turkey roaster being used as a water bath - and with the sheathed probe, control that bath at a set temp - without having to wire the roaster to deal with the PID? 
Thanks Arnaud for the nice sentiments  :).  The controller will work with any 110vac appliance that has a plug and is less than 1650 watts.  This should cover most household griddles, electric roasters, crock pots and hot plates (and refridgerators / freezers) as long as the appliance controls are manual (i.e. dial control) and not digital.  Note that this controller is a not PID, which means there will be more fluctuation around the setpoint (typically +/- 2 deg. F).  However it does have the advantage of being quicker to reach setpoint, less expensive and simplier to program.   Over the weekend I used it for a little crock pot sous vide.  Picture of the set up is below.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:43 PM »
Thanks, John, looks great!  Per my messages, I think my hope is that I can do two main things with it - and both involve putting the sheathed probe directly in the soup, as it were - directly in the water of a hotel pan/water bath to do something like maintaining Sailor's primer culture inoculation; and, using your 6" deep full hotel pan in a manually-controlled food warmer, dipping the probe directly in the milk during a cheese make.  This is kosher, yes (sorry, I really am a technophobe)?

I see you use the griddle and diffusion stone, John.  Can I ask, you don't have issues with local heating/temperature gradients, especially after flocculation and curd set?  Do you favor this setup over a traditional vat setup (by which I mean, you've a vat that is surrounded, more or less, by some kind of radiating heat source, as in a food warmer)?

FYI, in case you haven't seen them - something with PP and putting the full-pan in the cart...would love to order a pan as well. 
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »
If you're asking if the sheathed sensors are kosher in the virtual sense yes, as the sheath material we use is FDA approved.  The tile serves two purposes: it diffuses the heat and raises the pan so you can you can use the electric griddle as a hot plate.  The combination of the griddle and steam table pan does a good job handling the slow heat rate increases required when cooking curds.  That said it is still "localized" heating compared to a water bath, but temperature control is easier (i.e. you have only one liquid mass to control vs. two).  I don't have experience with a food warmer, but I love to do experiments and if you recommend one we will glad to purchase and do some comparison testing.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 01:42:36 AM »
John, I'm thinking of your controller with an Avantco warmer and a full 6" hotel pan (once having a restaurant does have its benefits, lol).  As I mentioned, I had something close to this when I built off of Yoav's really nice PID setup.  But the flexibility inherent in your system, without the need to wire anything, seems golden, to me.  :)
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 02:14:17 AM »
I checked our your link and was impressed enough I ordered one to test and compare to the griddle system.  As a retired engineer I know words are useless unless you have data to back it up.  Give me a week or two and we'll post results on our website.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 02:26:35 AM »
Not at all, John, thank you again for this - You engineers blow my mind.  This is a beauty, if this rank amateur's opinion matters at all, and I'm really looking forward to it. 

Paul
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »
Very nice website, very nice product line.  I'll definitely be adding your store to the resource list I hand out to my cheese classes.